Trying to decide between Rifle basix, Timney or jewell trigger?

RandySmith

I am replacing the trigger on my Remington 300 RUM. Based on research it appears these trigger are at the top (Rifle basix, Timney or jewell). I have also heard the Jewell trigger has a lot of creep if set above 2 pounds, has anyone found this to be true. I am looking to use the rifle for long distance hunting and will have the trigger set between 2.5 and 3 pounds. All three are in my price range so in this case price is not an issue. Can anyone please tell my why you choose the trigger you have and if you could do it over, what would you buy. Thanks, trying to do it right the first time!!

Randy

I have all three. They are all adjusted to my liking and I like them all for different reasons. The Jewell is an absolute work of art. Similar to a swiss watch. I love the Jewells, but I prefer the wider trigger contact of the Timney and Rifle Basix. The Jewell definitely has a different, more refined, feel to it. It's very likely that once you try a Jewell, you won't want anything else. The Rifle Basix breaks like glass right at 1.5 pounds. The Timney is the most comfortable on my finger, but it doesn't break as nicely as the Rifle Basix. I'm splitting hairs here though.

The Jewell is fantastic, but IMO you're not getting the full Jewell experience if you're wanting a 2.5 lb trigger. For all around outstanding function at 2.5-3.0 pounds I'd recommend the Timney.

I have all three. They are all adjusted to my liking and I like them all for different reasons. The Jewell is an absolute work of art. Similar to a swiss watch. I love the Jewells, but I prefer the wider trigger contact of the Timney and Rifle Basix. The Jewell definitely has a different, more refined, feel to it. It's very likely that once you try a Jewell, you won't want anything else. The Rifle Basix breaks like glass right at 1.5 pounds. The Timney is the most comfortable on my finger, but it doesn't break as nicely as the Rifle Basix. I'm splitting hairs here though.

The Jewell is fantastic, but IMO you're not getting the full Jewell experience if you're wanting a 2.5 lb trigger. For all around outstanding function at 2.5-3.0 pounds I'd recommend the Timney.

I was thinking to myself when I posted, but didn't add it, was doesn't 2-3lb sound heavy for long range work? Esp on a rum that can absolutely reach out and touch something. I was thinking 1-1.5# at the heaviest.

Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that for a hunting rifle its safe to stay above 2 pounds. From what I have been reading, anything below was not safe. Am i wrong?

Thanks for the responses. I was under the impression that for a hunting rifle its safe to stay above 2 pounds. From what I have been reading, anything below was not safe. Am i wrong?

It's only unsafe if the trigger in unstable at that weight. But if it is within the safe parameters, then whatever you are comfortable with is what is safest.

Where you have trigger pull weight set should depend on your experience and what you are comfortable with. "a man's got to know his limitations". It's just my opinion, so take it for what you paid for it, but if a guy can't shoot a crisp 2#-2 1/2# trigger,, it's probably not the triggers' fault. Triggers are like a lot of other things that make a 'shooter',,,, they need to be repeatable. Same pull weight, same break point, every time. Did anyone mention the Shilen std. trigger or the new Calvin Elite by Timney? That's two more for consideration.

Jewell is best...bar none, plain and simple. It's simply the trigger you should get and not ever look back.

Timney is ok but it's not a Jewell. Buy the Jewell.

NEVER, NEVER get a Rifle Basix. Two of my friends who are some of the best and smartest longrange shooters I know have had Rifle Basix triggers on their rifles at one time. Both of them have had their triggers fail at the worst possible moment (one during a hunt and the other during a tactical rifle match). By fail, I mean that the trigger quickly crept up in amount of force to pull the trigger until it got to the point it wouldn't work at all. My one friend sent his trigger back and had the factory repair it. He put it back on his rifle and in a short time the trigger failed again. He threw it in the trash. When my other friend's trigger failed, knowing my other friends experience, he just threw his away too. So I'll repeat, NEVER, NEVER get a Rifle Basix.

Also, I would generally agree that for a 300RUM that is capable of reaching out waaay over there, I would recommend a lighter trigger pull than 2lbs. Personally, my longrange rigs are set at 1lb. There's nothing unsafe about 1lb as long as the trigger is reliable and you are well trained and comfortable with it.

I had a Jewell triggers come apart on me one day while I was shooting. The cost to repair was 65 dollars. I will buy Timney triggers from now own. JMO

I agree, a mans has to know his limitations. I have heard of the Calvin Elite trigger from a member on this forum. Sounds like the Jewel trigger is hard to beat. I understand the Calvin Elite and Jewel trigger are very close but the Jewel trigger can be adjusted without removing it from the action. I think thats correct.

For many years I used a fifteen ounce trigger on my hunting rifle. When I recently had a new carry rifle build I had it set at 20 ounces. It's close to what I was used to and still keep the new 'smith happy.

I have Jewell's on my benchrest rifles at 2oz.
Timney's on my hunting and LR/tactical types at 1 1/2lb.
and
A couple Conjars on the Weatherbys at 2 grams if set 1 1/2lb if not.

Jard on 10/22 at 14oz after additional polishing.
Jard on MSR 6mmAR at 2lb.

For hunting and long range/tactical I prefer sub 2lb

and

Timney.

If you hunt exteme weather cold and snow I would go heavier on trigger.Cold hands dont feel precision