Trigger timing, training, practice

Awesome Greyfox!! I don't have the luxury of so many varmints here, but there are squirrels that I love to hunt and coyotes. So I'm already working on those, just not as much as I need to be.

But what you say makes all the sense in the world and I will be looking forward to chasing more small critters at extended ranges.

Thank you.
On that line of thought I bought a .220 swift Remington VS SFII this year which in most respects is all but identical to my Sendero .300 Rum.

I even tuned and then set the triggers so they would be identical.

On the way out to feed animials wednesday I spotted an Armadillo in the edge of a wheat field at about 450yds which is right where I have the swift zeroed.

Great practice.

Depending on what your long range rig is, you can probably set up something similar.

Yeah WildRose, that's what I hope to do at some point. Right now my little critter rig and my LR rig couldn't be more different. My LR rig is (as of right now) a 90% stock Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm RM. My little critter rifle is a Savage .17 HMR with a heavy barrel and Accu-trigger.

Eventually the LR rig will be much more custom, but right now I have to focus on one thing at a time. I'm getting my reloading supplies for the 7mm so that I can establish a baseline in mostly stock trim. Then as I get things replaced like the stock, trigger, barrel, etc.... I'll know what I'm gaining with each mod.

Once all that is done and finalized, I'll try my best to make a clone that is in a cheaper caliber to shoot. Something like the Swift, or a .17 Fireball----something fun.

An armadillo at 450 is pretty **** good shooting there, bro! We have em here, but I rarely see em except for crossing the roads. Wish I could say that I rarely see skunks....lol. Those stink bombs are everywhere.

Yeah WildRose, that's what I hope to do at some point. Right now my little critter rig and my LR rig couldn't be more different. My LR rig is (as of right now) a 90% stock Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm RM. My little critter rifle is a Savage .17 HMR with a heavy barrel and Accu-trigger.

Eventually the LR rig will be much more custom, but right now I have to focus on one thing at a time. I'm getting my reloading supplies for the 7mm so that I can establish a baseline in mostly stock trim. Then as I get things replaced like the stock, trigger, barrel, etc.... I'll know what I'm gaining with each mod.

Once all that is done and finalized, I'll try my best to make a clone that is in a cheaper caliber to shoot. Something like the Swift, or a .17 Fireball----something fun.

An armadillo at 450 is pretty **** good shooting there, bro! We have em here, but I rarely see em except for crossing the roads. Wish I could say that I rarely see skunks....lol. Those stink bombs are everywhere.
Trust me I sure do understand the "one thing at a time" mentality.

I've spent the last three years putting together three first class "poor boy rigs".

Another trick is set your rifle up on a bipod (snap cap in) and have someone balance a quarter out on the muzzle end of the barrel. You can see how smooth you are on the trigger by watching it wobble and/or fall off.

When you can squeeze off your shot consistently without it wobbling you're there.

My medium range rig is a Vanguard in 270.
A bedding job in a Bell & Carlson stock + Timney trigger will get you a long way. That rifle will probably work very well for you for quite a while if you let it.

I use a cheap 22 as my LR rig substitute. Plenty of info on the 'net as to tuning triggers, and it helps work on form for pennies per shot.

Trust me I sure do understand the "one thing at a time" mentality.

I've spent the last three years putting together three first class "poor boy rigs".

Another trick is set your rifle up on a bipod (snap cap in) and have someone balance a quarter out on the muzzle end of the barrel. You can see how smooth you are on the trigger by watching it wobble and/or fall off.

When you can squeeze off your shot consistently without it wobbling you're there.

Sweet! You've got three rigs that you designed? That's awesome.

Gotta remember the quarter trick. My son would love to do just that....lol. He's easily entertained.

My medium range rig is a Vanguard in 270.
A bedding job in a Bell & Carlson stock + Timney trigger will get you a long way. That rifle will probably work very well for you for quite a while if you let it.

I use a cheap 22 as my LR rig substitute. Plenty of info on the 'net as to tuning triggers, and it helps work on form for pennies per shot.

Thanks Dr. I've bedded the action in the original stock. Only took me three times to get the bedding compound to stick to that junk plastic (grrrrrrrr!) But it was just to learn HOW to bed that action. Other than the junk plastic stock, the Vanguard seems to be a good candidate for LR work. It doesn't shoot "bad" right now. The next stock she's gonna wear is a Hogue Overmolded stock. I know reviews are mixed, but I just can't afford the McMillan Adj.3-5 that I want. So I'll get the Hogue for now and see how it performs. A Timney trigger is also in my "shopping cart" at Midway. I have the factory trigger down as low as it can go. Since I have no trigger scale to measure pull-weight, I really don't know what it's set at. It's a **** far sight better than it was when I brought it home though. The original setting must have been 8 or 9 pounds.....crazy!

As far as the 22LR.....boy have I shot my share of 22's....lol. Got my first one when I was 10 yrs old. I'd hate to have to count all the rounds of 22 I've shot
over the years. Your right about it being cheap practice!

Sweet! You've got three rigs that you designed? That's awesome.

Gotta remember the quarter trick. My son would love to do just that....lol. He's easily entertained.

Thanks Dr. I've bedded the action in the original stock. Only took me three times to get the bedding compound to stick to that junk plastic (grrrrrrrr!) But it was just to learn HOW to bed that action. Other than the junk plastic stock, the Vanguard seems to be a good candidate for LR work. It doesn't shoot "bad" right now. The next stock she's gonna wear is a Hogue Overmolded stock. I know reviews are mixed, but I just can't afford the McMillan Adj.3-5 that I want. So I'll get the Hogue for now and see how it performs. A Timney trigger is also in my "shopping cart" at Midway. I have the factory trigger down as low as it can go. Since I have no trigger scale to measure pull-weight, I really don't know what it's set at. It's a **** far sight better than it was when I brought it home though. The original setting must have been 8 or 9 pounds.....crazy!

As far as the 22LR.....boy have I shot my share of 22's....lol. Got my first one when I was 10 yrs old. I'd hate to have to count all the rounds of 22 I've shot
over the years. Your right about it being cheap practice!

Please note that due to the composition of the rubber, bedding a Hogue is just as bad if not worse than bedding the factory composite stock. I also like the feel of them, but only place them on my pistols, not my rifles.

The Timneys go on sale on occasion through Midway, or wait for a 10-15% off coupon.

Just FYI,

I have a 25-06 BDL with the wood stock. I decided to try the Hogue full length aluminum bedded stock. I am glad that I did. I like the feel of it and it took my rifle from 1" groups to 1/2" groups. It is my go to gun for deer hunting out to 500 yards. It shoots 1/2 MOA all the way out to 500.

But to get the thread back on topic, without out trigger time and practice, it doesn't matter what stock or trigger you put on it. I am going to have to try the coin trick. Makes for a fun competition for yourself. Shooting is just like any other sport, if you don't practice, you lose what you have learned after a while and develop bad habits. I have people out on the range that are qualifying and shoot great when they frist come in but after a year or so, you see their scores get lower and lower because they are not practicing. Those good habits that they had at first get lost and bad habits take their place.

Please note that due to the composition of the rubber, bedding a Hogue is just as bad if not worse than bedding the factory composite stock. I also like the feel of them, but only place them on my pistols, not my rifles.

The Timneys go on sale on occasion through Midway, or wait for a 10-15% off coupon.

Right on Dr. Thanks for the PM also!!

Just FYI,

I have a 25-06 BDL with the wood stock. I decided to try the Hogue full length aluminum bedded stock. I am glad that I did. I like the feel of it and it took my rifle from 1" groups to 1/2" groups. It is my go to gun for deer hunting out to 500 yards. It shoots 1/2 MOA all the way out to 500.

But to get the thread back on topic, without out trigger time and practice, it doesn't matter what stock or trigger you put on it. I am going to have to try the coin trick. Makes for a fun competition for yourself. Shooting is just like any other sport, if you don't practice, you lose what you have learned after a while and develop bad habits. I have people out on the range that are qualifying and shoot great when they frist come in but after a year or so, you see their scores get lower and lower because they are not practicing. Those good habits that they had at first get lost and bad habits take their place.

For sure Korhil! Practice is where it's at. Even half-hearted practice doesn't make perfect-------PERFECT practice makes perfect. :D

Just FYI,

With an emphasis on "proper practice".

If one is just a bundle of bad habits and continues to practice them, all you get is a shooter with deeply ingraned and well practiced bad habits.

As for the hogue, with that full length aluminum frame and bedding block you're right and they are just about fool proof. All that rubber also tends to naturally deaden much of the vibration as well.

Main reason I bought my CZ 455 was simply to practice long range for cheap at short ranges. The drift of a .22 at 150 yards will teach you a ton about reading wind. There are no slippery high BC .22 bullets to compensate for a bad wind call. It makes shooting a 7mm VLD a piece of cake.

I have a similar Nikon Monarch on my little .22 as I do on my centerfire rifles. Same Nikoplex reticle with 2 MOA subtensions and same turrets with 12 MOA per revolution. Similar bolt and poundage setting on the triggers. Now if I could just find some more .22 ammo at reasonable prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.