Practice Gun

7dawg9

How many of you use a gun of a different ( smaller) caliber for off-season practice ? If so, what do you use?

I picked up a 6.5 creedmoor for practice and possible prs shoots. There are also smaller steel shoots that don't allow magnums so I had a bunch of reasons to get a smaller caliber. I gotta say it's quickly becoming my favorite as well, it's braked and heavy so it hardly moves and I can spot my own shots.

I have a 223 with same action and stock as my other rifles so it feels exactly the same. Works great to 500-600 yards and is inexpensive to shoot. Got it when .22 ammo to difficult to get. Sold the .22

I have a couple of Savage Model 12s for "practice". One is a 260 Rem LRP and the other a 223 Rem VLP. I take them both after p-dogs when it is time to practice reading wind and dialing up. I use the 53 grain VMAX in the 223 Rem and the 95 grain VMAX in the 260. My nephew has taken p-dogs with his 260 Rem out past 1,000 yards. I'm still working on that one. It is a humbling experience to try to hit a p-dog at 600 yards in a swirling 20 mph wind but occasionally some learning takes place.

Custom AR in 260 Rem and a Rem 700 VSSFII 220 Swift.

I shoot a lot of varmints/predators and rocks out in fields at unknown ranges to keep myself sharp on fundamentals and range estimation.

I practice to 150 using my tricked 10/22, then out to range limits with a HBAR Ar15. It's not the same as my hunting rifles but learning wind and holds helps all the same.

I have a couple that fill the bill for practice . A 17 HMR, 22 K hornet and for longer ranges a 223 AI.

They are very tough on varmints also if live game is available.

The idea is to shoot as often as possible without braking the bank.

NOTE: If I am using a larger rifle for larger game, Then I always take it to the range for a little practice and just to check that everything is still in order. (Zero, function, ammo. ETC)

They say that "practice makes perfect". It doesn't, but it sure helps.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.