Training/Practice Rifle

catorres1

For those of you that shoot alot, maybe taking classes etc....what do you train with? Do you use your hunting rig with sporter weight rifles that you might carry up a mountain, or do you have another heavier barreled rifle for that purpose?

And when taking classes, do you show up with your 8lb #2 contour hunting rig, or do you find you need a heavier, heavy barreled rifle to handle the volume of shooting in a class?

I ask this because as I consider what rifle or rifles I will buy, I find myself looking at one in a more reasonable carrying weight (8.5ish pounds), and a second for training and classes with a heavy barrel to handle the heat generated by the volume of shooting in a class, or a day of long range practice etc.

I am not sure this is a good approach and wanted to see what some of the older hands here do.

One rifle? Two?

If it were not for the weight issue, I would probably just do one to save on cash, but also so that the gun I practice with is the one I hunt with. But that appears impractical for me as I don't want a 10 lb hunting rig, so it seems I need two, but hopefully, I am mistaken.

Thanks!

I may be different than most, but No I do not practice with my hunting gun. I have it dialed in with a load and shoot it on occasion just to keep my comfort level up with it.

I started competing in precision longrange matches to "practice". For that I built another gun that is heavier but "feels" similar. I run the same stocks, triggers, and scopes so when hunting season comes around I KNOW my gear.

I found a lesser round that shoots similar to the ballistics of my hunting rifle. I shoot a 7rm for hunting a a 243 for practice. I 168 berger at 3075fps and a 105 berger hybrid at 3100fps shoot pretty dang close to a 1000 yrds ballistically. So I get used to the wind calls and how the bullet will react.

I shoot 3000+ rounds a year with the 243 and roughly 50-100 with the 7rm.

The 243 is the same weight, but the recoil is much reduced so shooting long strings is pleasant. plus good muzzle breaks make it even better.

Every person that I have helped get into longrange hunting I tell them they will need two guns. Your hunting gun and a practice gun. I usually suggest a 260 for a new shooter. If you want to shoot animals at long distances then you OWE it to them to practice, and practicing with hunting rounds is not fun.

So to recap...Build another gun that is similar in weight, optics, stocks and ballistics to your hunting gun. Build something that a barrel will last 2000+ rounds, stock up on powder, bullets and hit the range and shoot the hell out of it!

Willys46

^^^^^This is good advice. I got a 260 Rem and a 308 to practice with so I can make better shots with a 300 Win and 338 Lapua. The 260 and 308 are semi for no real reason but a bolt action practice gun would have been better. I am on a farm in Arkansas right now with an open area further than the 338 can reach, the whole time thanking myself for learning to shoot a 260 real far. Stand by for pics of the trophy buck I am gong to kill tomorrow.

It depends on some factors #1 how many rounds you expect your primary rifle to last?

How quick you can get it replaced?

Another option is at the same time you put your rifle together, have the replacement chambered at the same time, so you have a barrel ready to go.

How many rounds do you anticipate shooting, in what time frame. One class expects about 100 rounds, another says 400 (4 days). Some have rentals. for use.

I'm in the mind set today, of keeping the mileage low on my .338 RUM, and picked up a .260 for classes. Just got it, and haven't shot it yet. So I can't say that it's going to work out, but I like the plan.

Somewhere in all that, the realities of other obligations factor in. Keep in mind some of us "older" hands, have taken years to get equipped, and I can finally take classes on my time, maybe more than once a year, and I still flinch at what top tier set ups cost.

Yes. More is better. :D

This is how I vew them:

• Hunting rifles are shot for load development, zero confirmation, drop table proof and hunting.
  • Practice rifles are shot for technique, wind reading practice, etc..
  • Target rifles are shot for load development, tuning and competitions.
  • Tactical rifles are shot for limited practice and tactical type competitions.
  • Plinking rifles are shot for fun and more fun..

A practice rifle can be a 22LR. IMO it should be accurate. For me helps understand wind reading to shoot a 3" target at 275yards.

A 243 or 260 also makes a great practice rifle. IMO one of these and a 22LR is better because even a 243 or 260 loaded to it's slowest accuracy node will get hot fast.

My plinkers are "surplus" Mausers, P17 30-06 and Mosin Nagants. I use these for position practice as well, seated, prone, simulated tree supports and standing off hand. Iron sights. For me, shooting these at 12" steel out to 400 yards will help with breathing and follow through. So temping to lift your head to see the impact with open sights, don't do it...... LOL

Okay, sounds like the advice you all are giving is about where I thought I would need to be.

I am trying to get a 260 put together as my practice/training rifle. And trying to get it to match the 300/7mm I plan to buy...that's not been easy on a budget.

I don't plan to hunt at 1k or anything like that, but want to train that way for fun and so that 300 or 500 yard shots in the field become a lot easier.

So for the practice/training gun, would you all say that a heavy barrel is essential due to heat buildup?

I am in Texas, if that gives you an idea of the conditions. My sporter barrels heat up quick, and when it's 100 outside, they don't cool very quickly either, so I assume I need to get something with a heavier contour to resist heat issues.

Thanks!

For those of you that shoot alot, maybe taking classes etc....what do you train with? Do you use your hunting rig with sporter weight rifles that you might carry up a mountain, or do you have another heavier barreled rifle for that purpose?

And when taking classes, do you show up with your 8lb #2 contour hunting rig, or do you find you need a heavier, heavy barreled rifle to handle the volume of shooting in a class?

I ask this because as I consider what rifle or rifles I will buy, I find myself looking at one in a more reasonable carrying weight (8.5ish pounds), and a second for training and classes with a heavy barrel to handle the heat generated by the volume of shooting in a class, or a day of long range practice etc.

I am not sure this is a good approach and wanted to see what some of the older hands here do.

One rifle? Two?

If it were not for the weight issue, I would probably just do one to save on cash, but also so that the gun I practice with is the one I hunt with. But that appears impractical for me as I don't want a 10 lb hunting rig, so it seems I need two, but hopefully, I am mistaken.

Thanks!
For most of my life I had one "deer rifle" and one "varmint rifle" plus a .22lr.

I now have 16 rifles.:D

If I were to cut back to anything close to what I had for most of my life I'd have one heavy rig for a dedicated LR rifle in 7mm STW, 300wm, or 300 Rum, and I'd have one 7mm STW in something around an 8lbs rig.

Okay, sounds like the advice you all are giving is about where I thought I would need to be.

I am trying to get a 260 put together as my practice/training rifle. And trying to get it to match the 300/7mm I plan to buy...that's not been easy on a budget.

I don't plan to hunt at 1k or anything like that, but want to train that way for fun and so that 300 or 500 yard shots in the field become a lot easier.

So for the practice/training gun, would you all say that a heavy barrel is essential due to heat buildup?

I am in Texas, if that gives you an idea of the conditions. My sporter barrels heat up quick, and when it's 100 outside, they don't cool very quickly either, so I assume I need to get something with a heavier contour to resist heat issues.

Thanks!
Heavy or light you need to let them cool down between shot strings and keep your shot strings short.

A 260 in a heavy barrel would be great in that the minimal recoil will not get you to developing bad habits.

Here's my rule. Never more than 3 shots in any one minute period and no more than 10 shots in five minutes period.

Allow the rifle to cool down completely before resuming.

Heavy or light you need to let them cool down between shot strings and keep your shot strings short.

A 260 in a heavy barrel would be great in that the minimal recoil will not get you to developing bad habits.

Here's my rule. Never more than 3 shots in any one minute period and no more than 10 shots in five minutes period.

Allow the rifle to cool down completely before resuming.

Light vs heavy, for a practice gun I would not go heavier than a sendero conture. I run that contoure on everything. I could step down on size if needed. The heat build up and the wandering shots have decreased substantially with the better barrel manufacturing. They are better at relieving stress so the shots do not wander as bad as in the past. You want something with enough weight to feel solid and help reduce some recoil. This way you can practice by your self and be able to spot your own shots.

I am a lot harder on barreles than wildrose. In matches and training I will put many rounds down range in a very short period of time (10-16 rounds in 90-120 seconds). When you are on the clock you have to shoot fast.

You want something you can shoot and shoot often. Trigger time is what you are after.

Example, when practicing for hunting, I will show up cold bore, cold shooter and pick a target with my hunting gun. First shot of the day at what I think I will shoot a animal at. I get my cold bore hunting practice and gain DOPE. Then repeat with the practice gun and make corrections. Have a plan when you arrive, if you don't you will be sending rounds down range learning nothing. Before I pack up I will send another one down range with the hunting gun to just check. It should be another cold bore by then!

Well, let me see if I can get to the heart of the matter and get some advice. Basically, for a practice rifle, I have the choice of any of these if I limit myself to a 6.5/260.

Tikka T3 CTR
Tikka T3 Lite Adjustable
Vanguard Series 2 Synthetic | Weatherby.com
Savage Arms

Each has it's problems:

The CTR has the barrel and bottom steel, but I don't much care for the stock, it just does not feel right and I can't find a suitable replacement that I could afford (Manners and McMillan are just too much)

The Tikka adjustable has a better stock, but still not great for me. But it has a sporter weight barrel

The Weatherby stock would be replaced with my ideal stock from B&C, so that's it's strong point. Best fit. But it's a light #2 contour that is not free floated due to it's light weight, don't think it will handle extended shooting well.

The Savage has the right barrel, but the stock is worst of all of them for me. It's fit is all wrong, and I can't find a decent replacement that works...of the brands I can afford, B&C's are my favorite, but I don't think they even make one for this rifle because it's a bottom bolt release gun.

So if a lighter barrel is okay for this use, then the Vanguard with the B&C will be the way to go, but I doubt this will work due to the light barrels.

Second would be the Tikka's because the stocks are better than the Savages...the CTR has the barrel weight and a higher comb than the savage, but still not very good for me. The adjustable has the better, but still not great, stock, but a light barrel.

Last is the Savage because of the stock fit problem and the fact it is bottom bolt release makes that hard to fix.

So yeah, quite a conundrum.

I will say that either of the Tikka's and the Vanguard would also be light enough as they are for general hunting use as well. The heaviest, the CTR, would come in at 9 lbs scoped, and I can live with that.

The CTR has the barrel and bottom steel, but I don't much care for the stock, it just does not feel right and I can't find a suitable replacement that I could afford (Manners and McMillan are just too much)

I just took delivery on mine upon opening the box I felt like Arnold getting his first look at the Predator......"You're one ugly......"

However, the .223 has become one my all time favorites. Some of my complaints about the stock are visual. Once you get down to function alone, its still not my favorite stock, but really not bad.

The.223 when I've put kids behind it "not knowing any better" they have zero complaints.

So far, I like the more aggressive bolt handle, it looks and feels better scoped, the magazine is better, and is way more friendly taking in and out, and the integral rail is nice. Interestingly, both these Tikkas have more readily accepted scope than any other I've used. The scopes seem to always require virtually no adjustment to bore sight. Rail seems square and lined up to the bore.

Ugly is as ugly does, I'll try to get it out this week, and let you know how it fares at the range.

The classifieds have a couple of new 260, 6.5 Creedmoor listed. I know nothing about either, but might be something to look into.

For most of my life I had one "deer rifle" and one "varmint rifle" plus a .22lr.

I now have 16 rifles.:D

If I were to cut back to anything close to what I had for most of my life I'd have one heavy rig for a dedicated LR rifle in 7mm STW, 300wm, or 300 Rum, and I'd have one 7mm STW in something around an 8lbs rig.

Same for me...Except I've actually lost exact count of my guns. LOL

Growing up I had my 1 deer rifle, and a .22LR. But dad loved shooting and looking at guns, and took me to every gunshow that came to town when I was growing up. So I guess that's where I get my gun addiction from. :D

Back to the OP's question... I have many rifles, and most serve a dual purpose of hunting/range. But if I'm going to do some major trigger work, I'm atleast taking my .308 Win. I have more than enough guns that are for hunting, therefore my .308 is strictly a range toy.

I use my heavy barrel 6.5x284 and .300WinMag for everything. From crows to deer, load development to LR targets. Both weigh approx. 12 lb.

I'm 51 but when I get older and weaker I may switch to a sporter weight barrel. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts