Trigger pull bad - pulling rifle

tlk

Need some help here - I noticed that when I am pulling the trigger on my rile I am also pulling the rifle to the right (right handed shooter). How do I fixed this problem?

Pull trigger only with distal pad of index finger. Practice dry firing until the reticle doesn't move when the striker falls.

Breathe in, let it halfway out and apply pressure to trigger until shot breaks...if this takes more than about 5 seconds, breathe and start over This is not easy. Practice, practice, practice.

Lewis had some good advise.
Also, how heavy is the pull? Sounds like a heavy pull, before we changed triggers on my buddy's Ruger it was so heavy you had to keep checking to see if the safety was all the way off.
If it's a bolt action, try not wrapping your thump around and gripping. When you do wrap your thumb you can have a tendency to squeeze with your whole hand and not come straight back with on the trigger.

Or you could be anticipating the shot.

had same problem too

Hey I have had the same problem when I was starting out. My first thing i did wrong was to start off with a harder recoiling rifle when I was younger. I began to start anticipating the shot and push into the rifle. before the shot broke. I couldn't figure out what was going on until one day i was out shooting with my dad and was watching me shoot and he could see it plain as day. He told me all the same things that you have read before in the previous posts. He also said that i should get a shooter that is more user friendly and shoot the hell out of it but making sure to keep the basics in mind and after enough practice I Finlay broke myself of it. There are still times that If i don't watch it I find myself wanting to anticipate the shot. Don't get discouraged practice was the one big thing that helped me the most.

Chris

But a .22 rimfire rifle and alot of ammo, then go practice. Consintrate on keeping the sights on the target then slowly squeeze the trigger. Try to think of keeping the sights on the target and pulling the trigger as 2 totally different thing. Consintrate of the sights and with the other side of your brain pulling the trigger.

Thanks!!!

I took this info and put it to use. I found out some things:

1. My hand was a huge part of the problem - I was grabbing too far back and too hard. Started concentrating on pulling the trigger staight back, but that didin't work until I put my hand in a proper position. This has helped very much.

2. My trigger IS too heavy. I left is as it was to find out if there were other issues out there that were also "in flight". There are.

3. I have become a dry firing maniac. This is what helped me find #1. It also has helped me to ensure that I am where I need to be after the shot. Initially I wasn't. Now most of the time I am. It has also become obvious that old habits die hard - and come back from the dead if not continually worked on.

4. I found out the my first (cold) shot out of the barrel is dead on. The rest hit low and to the right. It has taken many rounds to find this.

Thanks. You have helped me greatly.

Low and right hit can be indicative of a jerk or flinch for a right handed shooter.

Keep up the dry fire practice, and convince your brain that the striker is falling on an empty chamber when you are firing a live round. Try to hear/feel the striker "click."

Keep up the good work. Like we said, this is definitely not easy.

Last edited:
Also make sure you are following through after the shot and not just popping your head up immediately afterwards.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.