longrange trigger pull

scastle

hello friends,was wandering what kind of trigger pull do you long range fellers have your rifles triggers set at? mine is at 2.5 pounds,but I don't get to shoot much longrange(200yards is about it) thanks

Trigger pull is a very individual thing and the range of weight varies greatly.

I have tried .7 0z to 6.0 pounds and came up with what felt right and safe.

bench rest folks like them extremely light so pulling the trigger doesn't move or load the rifle in any way. (Normally they are in the lower ounces).

Some matches have a minimum of a 4 pound trigger pull.

4 pounds sounds like a lot, but if the trigger is crisp and breaks clean it is fine for long range.

Hunting requires different weights of pull depending on the type hunting you will be doing.

I tried very light triggers for hunting and was always worrying about touching the trigger prematurely and having a discharge because of gloves or position so I started increasing the trigger pull in slight increments, when I found a weight that felt safe and that I could not anticipate I weighted it and it was set a 2.2 pounds.

I then set all of my rifles at that weight and have been very happy with that weight. as I said some will recommend less and some will push for more. The quality of the trigger will have the most baring on what you like but the weight you have now is a good starting weight and you can go up or down to get what's best for you. Light does not automatically guarantee accuracy, trigger control
with practice is necessary.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I like mine at 2.5 pounds or a little less. Keep in mind if you have a light trigger and a friend picks up your rifle for a round or two you should let them know beforehand that your trigger is light.

Trigger pull is a very individual thing and the range of weight varies greatly.
I have tried .7 0z to 6.0 pounds and came up with what felt right and safe.
bench rest folks like them extremely light so pulling the trigger doesn't move or load the rifle in any way. (Normally they are in the lower ounces).
Some matches have a minimum of a 4 pound trigger pull.
4 pounds sounds like a lot, but if the trigger is crisp and breaks clean it is fine for long range.
Hunting requires different weights of pull depending on the type hunting you will be doing.
I tried very light triggers for hunting and was always worrying about touching the trigger prematurely and having a discharge because of gloves or position so I started increasing the trigger pull in slight increments, when I found a weight that felt safe and that I could not anticipate I weighted it and it was set a 2.2 pounds.
I then set all of my rifles at that weight and have been very happy with that weight. as I said some will recommend less and some will push for more. The quality of the trigger will have the most baring on what you like but the weight you have now is a good starting weight and you can go up or down to get what's best for you. Light does not automatically guarantee accuracy, trigger control
with practice is necessary.
Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

Couldn't have said it better ....

The quality of the trigger will have the most baring on what you like but the weight you have now is a good starting weight and you can go up or down to get what's best for you. Light does not automatically guarantee accuracy, trigger control

I agree with this statement 100 percent

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.