Took my first long range shot that wasn't at paper and missed!

Good shooting John, keep practicing up for woodchuck fest this summer. You've come a long way and alot of rounds fired with that 270. Feels good when it all comes together. We're finally getting out tonight for my first hunt of the year. Keep us posted on your success.

keep practicing up for woodchuck fest this summer. You've come a long way and alot of rounds fired with that 270.

I'll keep practicing, but I want to shoot some of those customs that show up there. My 270 told me that it's barrel was getting tired.:D

I did The last time I got an avg mv of 2969 (30 degrees F) an ES of 12 or 13 and an SD of 4.9. The MV seems to change with temp. but it keeps a good ES/SD.

I'm thinking that you are or have learned that accuracy is out weighs velocity. Especially since you/re a bit over gunned for the lowly hoary marmont.:D

I have a bad gene that causes me to go for velocity AND accuracy. It's a bad gene. And expensive too.:rolleyes:

Wait till you plunk a deer a bit beyond your chuck distance. Be sure to get an extra large adjustable cap.:D:D

I'm also bettin that you rifle will last longer than anticipated with the load that you are shooting.

Keep on your on a pretty decent curve in your progress.

More power to ya......

Thanks Roy! I know I left some speed on the table but I had a tough time getting my head wrapped around load development so once I found something that would work I didn't care about the speed. I am still tinkerin though!:D I've been trying the 150 VLDs but either my barrel has some distain for them or it's going south. Future range time will tell. Once I run about 15 of them down the tube it starts to shoot a pattern. I gotta run 15 or so of the boat tails now and see if they do the same thing. The first 250-300 bullets I ran through this were 3600+ fps:D varmint bullets which my have had something to do with how it's acting now.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.