Long shot of the day

Nice shooting!
During the Wyoming antelope season we will often take a lunch break at one of the numerous PD areas where we hunt. Using the same LR rigs used for antelope we take only a half dozen shots/session at PD's ranged between 500 and 1000 yards. One shot at one range for one PD. If missed, no second shot....move to a different PD at a different range. If hit, increase the range on the next PD. Excellent ranging and wind call practice....and lots of fun! My longest kill on a PD was 998 yards(prone} with my 6.5x284 with 140/142 VLDs.

Making me a little jealous, Brad! We got some pd's on my son's Wyoming cow elk hunt last Fall. It was the highlight of the trip for me! (I know, I'm a sick individual!)

Yep, April 1st to June 15th all prairie dog shooting is off limits in Utah unless on private party, if you hadn't told us, I would have never known this and I was heading that way this Friday, ****!

Last day of Utah prairie dog season was today. Fortunately I'm only a hour and a half away in Colorado from the areas I shoot in. The day started out with shifting winds up to 11 mph. Once past about 400 yds i struggled, even with the Kestrel beside me giving real-time wind holds. After lunch it calmed down some and I started getting some of those 5-600 yard dogs. Long shot of the day was 757 yards. Looking forward to marmots this fall! View attachment 264989
I didn't realize they had seasons on varmints...

Yep, in Utah public land is closed for prairie dogs April 1st-June 15th because they don't want dogs shot during the time they're rearing they're young until they can survive independently.

No bag limit, etc. I guess it's all you can eat!
The rifle is a Cooper custom classic. I have an 8 twist barrel shooting 85.5 grain Berger hybrids. Was shooting 75 grain ELDM's but can't find any.
Hello COBrad ,

Beautiful rifle . I really like wood stocks .
What cartridge are you shooting , and what is length of barrel ?

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

Here in Arizona it is hard to find PD's outside of farm lands and just handful of farmers allow to hunt PD's on their land and if they allow it is typically couple weeks in spring and couple weeks in the fall.. Still had fun last Sunday. In the Arizona terrain long shots are almost non-exists so 325 was longest I've got..

Why wait till fall for marmots? Hell, I going to start shooting em here in Nv. in the next week or so. Squirrels are out too! Life is about to be GOOOD!

The rifle is a 22-250 with a 26" barrel. Longest shot on a prairie dog with this rifle was 1132 yards. Actually Colorado has a season on marmots with a daily limit of 2 and your required to eat them. Another of our game laws that I believe originated on the liberal east slope- Denver etc. Yes I've eaten lots of marmots. I like to boil them to get the fat out of the meat then finish them on the grill. Very tasty actually.
Pictured is a custom built by West Elk Precision in Grand Junction CO. I picked it up a couple days ago. Intended use is ELR marmots with the goal of getting one at a mile. My current longest is 1402 yards. Defiance Deviant, Bartlien 3b, Manners EH1, Trigger Tech, Ken Farrell rings and NF Atacr 5-25, 6.5 PRC. I also had a 300 WSM barrel spin up for cross canyon elk above the ranch I'm on. 0F549318-BD03-4EE0-BA4D-86B90B10F59C.jpeg