Dad's Longest Shot

Joel Russo

Well, He finally did it.... He broke the 500 yard mark.

We've been trying for two years to get him to shoot a groundhog past 500 yards, and yesterday my 81 year old Dad killed one at 538 yards.

We headed up north to do a little groundhog hunting before the fields get too high. Philny1 met up with us and we fought the cold, windy day to find some groundhogs. I had my .240 Wby and my .284 Baer along. We all shot a few with each rifle throught the day.

We found one at 538 yards in the 20mph wind, and put Dad behind the .284 Baer. It's extremely accurate, spitting 180 gr Berger's just under 3100 fps. One shot and it was all over. Phil and I set out to reclaim his trophy, and had to get his mug shot. Now we need to get him one at 1K..

IMG_11872.jpg

IMG_11862.jpg

Joel, congrats to your dad. I enjoy seeing someone take their first long range kill more than I enjoy pulling the trigger. Hopefully you can bring him along up here and we'll try to get him some more long range kills and at some further distances too. Congrats again, good shooting.

Congrats. It's quite a rush to connect at long range. I made my first 500yd shot a few weeks ago on a PD. It took a few shots because I didn't realize how far away it was. Unfortunately it didn't kill it right away, so I had to dispatch it myself once I found it. 500 paces exactly back to my shooting point. :D I was quite surprised.

congrats on the shot,i have only recently had a taste of what is long range for me,now i have Exbal it makes life easier,361 on a rabbit is the furthest so 400 is next then hopefuly 500 +as we only have rabbits ,crows and maggies to shoot i will have to settle for them,no pd's over here unfortunatley very nice looking rig by the way

A good shot at that distance - what does an average one weigh?
Nice looking stock on that rifle by the way:D:D
Very happy with mine joel - my e-mails keep getting bounced back for some reason:confused:
I will send you some photos when it is finished.

Regards Murray

Murray....I thought your stock got lost when I shipped it out of the country..

I never heard back, and tried e-mailing a few times with no response...
try this e-mail address.... [email protected]

Glad to see you got it and you like it. Please send pictures when you finish it.

These groundhogs can weigh in at 15 to 20 pounds, but average about 12 pounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.