Tikka upgrade

KS Shooter2021

Been reading the forums for a couple of months but this is my first post.

I just got a great deal on a lightly used T3x Lite in 6.5 CM. Some guy traded it in on an AR during the panic buying and I get the benefit because the LGS he traded to doesn't deal much in bolts. 😀

The action is smooth and the trigger is decent. I plan on using it to shoot steel out to 800, sometimes (attempt) 1K but mostly to dispatch some of the oversupply of coyotes infesting my turkey hunting ground.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 5-25 x 50 or a 4-16x44 Vortex to put on top so don't need a scope right now.

What would be the best first upgrade you folks would recommend for the Tikka to make it an even better shooter?

I changed the stock out right away and put a BC stock on it, then a muzzle brake. I was ringing steel at 800 with factory nosler ABLR 270 WSM. I took a bull elk with it this year over 440 yards, one shot.

Last edited:
Not too much to upgrade honestly. Actions are great, triggers are great, and they have great barrels. I switched from t3 lite ss from a synthetic to a walnut due to aesthetics. Best wishes on your new rifle and I'd give the 143 hornadys a good look from the start!

Limbsaver airtech recoil pad is a good upgrade that only costs an ounce and $30. You can find the vertical grip replacements on berettas site for $15 on occasion if you want a more "target style" feel.

Most replace the stock. AG, Mesa Precision, Manner's seem to be popular if you want to throw $500+ at it.

Can get the bolt fluted if you like at LRI for a small fee as well.

They are pretty turn key guns though just enjoy shooting it!

^^^ Agreed. Not that it's totally necessary, but the trigger spring is a cheap upgrade. Slap a new stock on it and have fun!

If you want to bedazzle it a little, I second LRI bolt fluting. Very quick turn around, looks fantastic, and is something like $40 when you figure in shipping both ways.

Here's my bolt I had done:
IMG_6555.jpg

Sounds like a stock upgrade may be the ticket. I'll look at BC, Manners is probably a little to pricey. Guy at the range had a KRG Bravo that looked interesting but I don't know anything about them. Anyone have experience with those?

Definitely will do a trigger spring, and probably a fluted bolt. Didn't realize it was that reasonable to get it done and it sure does add some pizazz. Thanks for the tip.

Can't spend too much because I want to show my son I can shoot steel without resorting to an MPA....which he has for PRS.

Then I want to take the same gun to a predator party when his is safely locked away at home.

I'm mostly a pistol/shotgun guy but his interest in long range has generated a friendly (mostly) competition with my adult son. Gives us a reason to spend a lot of quality time together. Lord knows we need it these days.

I cant remember what company it was, but there used to be a really nice looking carbon fiber weave gloss coat stock for sale for t3's-- iirc it has been bought/sold several times and may now be through stocky's ?

Been reading the forums for a couple of months but this is my first post.

I just got a great deal on a lightly used T3x Lite in 6.5 CM. Some guy traded it in on an AR during the panic buying and I get the benefit because the LGS he traded to doesn't deal much in bolts. 😀

The action is smooth and the trigger is decent. I plan on using it to shoot steel out to 800, sometimes (attempt) 1K but mostly to dispatch some of the oversupply of coyotes infesting my turkey hunting ground.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 5-25 x 50 or a 4-16x44 Vortex to put on top so don't need a scope right now.

What would be the best first upgrade you folks would recommend for the Tikka to make it an even better shooter?
Try a macarbo trigger spring to fix the trigger pull

Congratulations on your purchase! I think you will find mostly positive comments on this forum regarding Tikka. As noted above, the first things that most people upgrade is the stock and trigger spring. Lots of good options out there. I chose a Boyd's laminated wood stock and am very pleased with it. Easy ordering through their web site and several styles to choose from. It took about 4 weeks to deliver the stock and it was a drop-in fit.

Look into AG composites...they make stock for Tikkas and they fit like a glove...great stocks.
Trigger from varmint model if one available is a great upgrade.
Bottom metal and shroud are more cosmetics but if want to go into Aics mags then it is a great addition as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.