upgrade

Cowboy18

I have a browing A bolt chambered in 300 wsm and was looking into upgradeing it I want to put a heavy bull barral and a good heavy stock just seeing what products anyone will recommend any other upgrades anyone will suggest are welcome

I am in your boat. I just picked up an A-bolt micro medallion in 300 WSM. Trouble is: it shoots so darn good that I can't bring myself to replace the 20" barrel. I know I'm giving up some velocity, but the rifle handles and balances so well that I am leaving it alone for now.

Stocky's stocks has a few models in wood laminate that would work. Richard's micro-fit stocks has a bigger selection of laminate styles to choose from and will inlet the A-bolt short action into any of them. I'm not sure if any stock maker (such as HS, etc.) has synthetic stocks pre-made for it. Finally, McMillan or Manners can get it done on the high end.

As for smiths, most LR builders aren't set up do to A-bolts, plus they have enough Rem and Savage work to do that they don't work on them. Lots of other general smiths will, but not that many that do precision LR builds.

I have a browing A bolt chambered in 300 wsm and was looking into upgradeing it I want to put a heavy bull barral and a good heavy stock just seeing what products anyone will recommend any other upgrades anyone will suggest are welcome

You are obviously not worried about weight so you have lots of options.

I would recommend a stainless barrel with a 1 in 10 twist, 6 grove in a varmint weight.

To help balance the rifle a laminate stock would be my recommendation or buy a composite
stock, And add weight to the but stock.

There are many good brands of barrels to chose from based on your likes. (I prefer Lilja).

Don't get tricky with the chamber, Have the Smith use a standard SAAME reamer.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

You are obviously not worried about weight so you have lots of options.

I would recommend a stainless barrel with a 1 in 10 twist, 6 grove in a varmint weight.

To help balance the rifle a laminate stock would be my recommendation or buy a composite
stock, And add weight to the but stock.

There are many good brands of barrels to chose from based on your likes. (I prefer Lilja).

Don't get tricky with the chamber, Have the Smith use a standard SAAME reamer.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

+1 can't go wrong with what JE CUSTOM recommended

Bell & Carlson makes a Medalist stock for the A-Bolts. They are good stocks for the money, and the barrel channel can be opened up to varmint contour by your smith.

As for barrels, a 26" varmint contour will be a good length & weight to go with. I will be rebarreling my A-Bolt II 7RM soon. I already have several 7RM rifles, so I will be rebarreling it to .264 WinMag, because I am limited by the removable magazine and magnum bolt face.

Good luck with your build, and be sure to keep us updated.

Bell & Carlson makes a Medalist stock for the A-Bolts. They are good stocks for the money, and the barrel channel can be opened up to varmint contour by your smith.

As for barrels, a 26" varmint contour will be a good length & weight to go with. I will be rebarreling my A-Bolt II 7RM soon. I already have several 7RM rifles, so I will be rebarreling it to .264 WinMag, because I am limited by the removable magazine and magnum bolt face.

Good luck with your build, and be sure to keep us updated.

muddy, get a 375 h@h mag (or 300rum mag) and punch out your chamber to 7stw...

as to the op, tune your trigger and start with the upgrades others have mentioned... My browning lh ss 300win is still going strong 15 years into owning it, but the day may come where I'm looking to re barrel her. I like a bit lighter barrel, but that's me.

muddy, get a 375 h@h mag (or 300rum mag) and punch out your chamber to 7stw...

as to the op, tune your trigger and start with the upgrades others have mentioned... My browning lh ss 300win is still going strong 15 years into owning it, but the day may come where I'm looking to re barrel her. I like a bit lighter barrel, but that's me.

Already got a good shooting STW, plus another barrel sitting in the wings... Don't need a 3rd. Then It'll be on par with my 7mm RM collection, which needs thinning, which is why the Browning will be going with something I don't currently have.

I wish I could just purchase a new standard bolt head for it, and make it my .280 AI build. But browning wants you to send them the rifle, and have them do it. Or have an FFL to order one.

I thank everyone for there advise on my upgrades and sorry its takeing so long for me to reply I've been busy ill look up the barrels and stocks yall advised and keep everyone posted

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.