Tikka t3 308 question

AZShooter

The rifle in question is a Tikka t3 Light.

I understand the Tikka T3 is actually a long action. To make the 308 they use a shorter bolt stop and the mag box has a "block" in the rear.

The magazine is so short a 150 nosler bt has over a .080" jump to lands. I would like to get another flush mount magazine with less or no block so I can move the bullet closer to the rifling. Perhaps a 30-06 mag?

Question: has anyone tried switching to a longer box and altering the bolt stop? How did it feed? Would rather find out before I pay dearly for another plastic magazine.

thanks

Ross

Az,
I don't know about dearly, but sportsman's warehouse sells the mags now for $39. Some have have a metal strip in front, so filing isn't really an option with 06 mag. I haven't been too worked up on overall length in tikka mags. My super light 308 shoots 168 amax and 165 sst under 1/2 inch at 200 yds just about magazine length.

Thanks for the comment Howco,

I guess that price isn't THAT bad. Perhaps the term dearly is not warranted.

The rifle in question is shooting 150 ballistic tips. The rifle owner is new to rifles. I thought it might be in his and his girlfriend's best interest to get them into shooting without dealing with excessive recoil. That Tikka light IS light at just over 6 lb naked.

So far best it shot was 3/4" four shot group at 100. He says his girlfriend has a coues wt hunt this fall and will use this rifle. He thought they wouldn't shoot much past 350 yds. I suggested both of them shoot at some steel or water jugs at intended distance to see if they are capable.

I suppose 3/4" groups are not too bad. I might try long seating to see if the gun will respond before altering it to shoot as a repeater from a 30-06 magazine box.

I did find a forum with a thread on this topic after I asked the question here:

How to use long action magazines in a short action Tikka T3 [Archive] - Calguns.net

Just wanted to hear from anyone who made this mag box switch before doing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.