Tikka T3 questions

SnipingFinn

Hello,

I'm building a Tikka T3 based long range hunting rifle and thought I would ask help from this forum to couple of specific questions. Main components of the rifle include:
◦Caliber 300wm
◦Tikka T3 action
◦Manners EHTA or EH5A stock. CDI bottom metal
◦Bartlein Bull Sporter or Light Palma barrel, 24"
◦Muzzle break (and later on possibly suppressor)
◦Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56

The questions I have in mind:
◦Does anyone have experience on if pillars are needed with Tikka T3 action and Manners Elite 100% carbon shell stock? Manners does not provide/install pilars for Tikka T3 models and I'm wondering if I should get them installed when bedding is done.
◦Any views on barrel contour selection (Bull S vs. Light P)? As mentioned , I'm looking at 24" length due to hunting focus. Seems that both of these contours would hit roughly same weight, Light Palma maybe a bit lighter...
◦I'm thinking to order bedding from Bartlein. Does anyone have experience on using them for bedding work?

That's about it - any advices would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!

Ps. I'm not looking at changing caliber to something else than 300WM:)

If you bed the stock and bottom metal you should be ok. I only have mcmillan and B&c stock experience with tikkas. But both rifles had to be bedded to get a proper fit. I would suggest looking at a magnum contour barrel. They seem to give a nice balance for a hunting rifle

I would consider the Wsm. if staying with the short barrel. Just a thought considering the advancements in powders and burn efficiency in short barrels, also you could seat bullets longer in that action to gain some case capacity for the heavy bullets. I have pushed the 215 hybrid to good velocity with rl 17 in a mostly stock t-3 with good accuracy. I'm sure you could do better with a semi custom!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.