Tikka T3 243 win Question

Since this thread is already up and running I don't want to start another one. It looks like everyone is reloading to get that great performance with higher grain bullets out of their t3's with 1:10 twist. Is anyone getting good results with factory ammo that's heavier than 58grains?

Since this thread is already up and running I don't want to start another one. It looks like everyone is reloading to get that great performance with higher grain bullets out of their t3's with 1:10 twist. Is anyone getting good results with factory ammo that's heavier than 58grains?
Mine did very well with Hornady 75gr. HP factory loads - .75" and a couple smaller. Anything else is over 1". FYI - 3-shot groups.

I have shot 100gr projectiles in multiple Tikka's with their standard 10 twist over the past 15 years or so. I (and my sons) have taken many mule deer with these heavier-than-suggested bullets with no issues.

I would say that I have previously limited my kids hunting distances to 200 yards or less, so stability was never an issue in the field.

As has previously been mentioned, the 100's are marginally stable out of these bores, and I think they would open up a decent amount beyond 250 yards. In no way is any part of this message a recommendation for you to hunt - especially at any real distance - with 100 grainers, but they should perform "ok" out to 200 - or slightly farther.

I was fortunate enough to take a deer 4 years ago at 330 yards with our then-standard 100 gr bullet/load, but would likely (definitely) not take that shot with that load again. I had no issues recovering the deer, but given the distances that I like to hunt deer, there are certainly FAR better bullets to choose for my needs.

Over the years I have shot these rifles extensively with factory loads and several handloads utilizing 100 grain bullets from different manufacturers. I have since worked up some phenomenal hand-loadings in the 85 grain range that will still punch large Colorado muley's, and I do not need to worry about stability at distance.

The 10 twist Tikka's certainly prefer the 60-90 grain bullets, and I think that you will have much better luck with these lighter projectiles out of your rifle.

MY brother shoots 90 grain lapua hp out of his tikka. very accurate. i am sure that your tikka will shoot 100 grain hornady, sierra, nosler very very well.

I have shot 100gr projectiles in multiple Tikka's with their standard 10 twist over the past 15 years or so. I (and my sons) have taken many mule deer with these heavier-than-suggested bullets with no issues.

I would say that I have previously limited my kids hunting distances to 200 yards or less, so stability was never an issue in the field.

As has previously been mentioned, the 100's are marginally stable out of these bores, and I think they would open up a decent amount beyond 250 yards. In no way is any part of this message a recommendation for you to hunt - especially at any real distance - with 100 grainers, but they should perform "ok" out to 200 - or slightly farther.

I was fortunate enough to take a deer 4 years ago at 330 yards with our then-standard 100 gr bullet/load, but would likely (definitely) not take that shot with that load again. I had no issues recovering the deer, but given the distances that I like to hunt deer, there are certainly FAR better bullets to choose for my needs.

Over the years I have shot these rifles extensively with factory loads and several handloads utilizing 100 grain bullets from different manufacturers. I have since worked up some phenomenal hand-loadings in the 85 grain range that will still punch large Colorado muley's, and I do not need to worry about stability at distance.

The 10 twist Tikka's certainly prefer the 60-90 grain bullets, and I think that you will have much better luck with these lighter projectiles out of your rifle.

Yeah so far the 100 grain factory ammo i have shot was 2.5 to 3moa whereas the 58's were .75 moa. Which is what prompted the question.

Yeah so far the 100 grain factory ammo i have shot was 2.5 to 3moa whereas the 58's were .75 moa. Which is what prompted the question.
My Tikka 243's will regularly shoot at or sub MOA at 200 yards with 100 grain bullets in both factory loaded and hand-loaded ammunition. I just fear that the groups open up pretty dramatically at distances much beyond that.

What loads were you shooting that were getting 2.5 to 3 MOA groups? That is unfortunate to hear.
Coming out of these barrels, even if they shoot the 85 to 90's better, I would hope that you would have at least been 1 to 1.5 with the 100's.

My Tikka 243's will regularly shoot at or sub MOA at 200 yards with 100 grain bullets in both factory loaded and hand-loaded ammunition. I just fear that the groups open up pretty dramatically at distances much beyond that.

What loads were you shooting that were getting 2.5 to 3 MOA groups? That is unfortunate to hear.
Coming out of these barrels, even if they shoot the 85 to 90's better, I would hope that you would have at least been 1 to 1.5 with the 100's.
Hornady's American whitetail and Winchester super X. Like I had said earlier the lighter stuff grouped sub moa but the American whitetail just did not. The super X was a bit better but not what I expected. I shot them all on the same day giving the barrel time to cool etc. And to see if it was me I went back and forth between them you could tell by the group what they were.

I have some 90 gr Precision Hunter I want to test next. But after doing some reading here I've adjusted my set up a bit and am waiting on a new recoil lug and bolt shroud so it will have to wait.

Hornady's American whitetail and Winchester super X. Like I had said earlier the lighter stuff grouped sub moa but the American whitetail just did not. The super X was a bit better but not what I expected. I shot them all on the same day giving the barrel time to cool etc. And to see if it was me I went back and forth between them you could tell by the group what they were.

I have some 90 gr Precision Hunter I want to test next. But after doing some reading here I've adjusted my set up a bit and am waiting on a new recoil lug and bolt shroud so it will have to wait.
Look at the federal power shock loadings in 80 grain and 100 grain. I know the part number for their 100 grain is Federal Power shock "243B." Just something else that you might want to try, if you can find it these days.

I am suggesting these loads because they are a decent factory load that have shot well in every Tikka I have tried them in. They are also relatively conservatively priced, during peace time. No idea what the price is these days.

Your gun may shoot these well. I have a bunch of the 80s and 100s, my kids have hunted quite a bit with the 100 grain version and have never missed a deer.

Update: precision hunter was good at 100 but nit so good that I won't keep looking. I had a heck of time, believe it or not, finding the power shock. I am going try those shortly. Using the Berger stability calculator the precision hunter is only marginally stable. The power shock however shows well within the stable section. Is it me, honestly, but it seems twist rates just aren't enough in a lot of barrels these days to handle the more common longer rounds. T3X .308 is 1:11?. Winchester 70 is 1:12. But the standard elsewhere seems to be 1:10. Am i just missing something.