Tikka light or savage 11/111

Oldschool280

Hey gang, I am looking to broaden my horizons, I'm leaning toward the 300 win mag. The goal is an affordable rifle ($1500 with optics). I have been looking at the tikka light and the savage 11/111 as both are available in left hand configurations. Kinda like the savage as i try to buy American made products as often as possible. Should i take a peek at other brands? Should i lurk around the sites for a used rifle that has already been massaged? I currently do not reload .thanx for any input

Having both in my collection, I would opt for the Tikka. I have a T3 lite in 270wsm and I can tell you, the out of the box accuracy on the Tikka is top notch. Sub MOA with factory ammo, 1/2 MOA with reloads. The Savage, while a nice inexpensive rifle, just does not have the accuracy. Factory loads at 1 MOA+. Either will harvest game with no problem, but the Tikka is better if you are chasing the best group possible. On a side note, The Tikka action is smooth as glass, Trigger is a adjustable, down to 2.5lbs. Crisp with no creep. Just my 2 cents.
Good Luck, Have fun

Check the twist rates on these rifles, it very well may be the deciding factor for you. I'd look but my work blocks those sites. Also don't overlook the rem 5r. If I had to do it all over again my savage would be a rem700, heck at this point I think I should've gone w/ the milspec 5r over my custom.

I will concur with the above... tikka actions are slick.

Although the Tikka is smoother my Savage is pretty dang good and faster since I switched out the bolt handle for a custom one. It cost me $56 and took my 5 minutes to do. Youtube has videos on it. I had a tikka and I like the Savage better. I currently have the Savage Bear Hunter with a brake and you will want to put a brake on the 300wm especially on the Tikka. Also, the Tikka will need a different stock if you plan on using a bipod. Same with the Savage unless you get one with the accustock or better. They are both well made and have great reviews. Pretty much anything you want to do with a Savage you can do yourself. I understand Tikka is coming out with a replacement to the T3 so I am not sure what improvements or changes they have done to it. I know I mentioned to put a brake on them as they are very comfortable to shoot with a brake. I can shoot mine all afternoon and I have! 80 rounds in a sitting is no big deal. I would have shot more had I brought more ammo. My 14 year old shot it with me with no problems with recoil.

Hey strut, I have a new custom savage bolt handle if you're looking for another one. Its stainless.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.