Savage 11/111 vs. Savage 11/111?

AH3682

Hey guys,
Recently I was looking at savage's lineup of 6.5x284 Normas and I found two that were interesting:
11/111 Trophy Hunter
11/111 Long Range Hunter
Both available in 6.5x284 and both at the included link I believe Savage Arms#
At first glance it appeared that the only difference may be the stock, barrel length, and weight. Is that right? If so why the $345 difference? How will the performance and accuracy of the two differ? Thanks!

I was wondering how much the shorter barrel would lose accuracy. Thanks for your reply!

You might check the barrel length as I have looked at a 116 stainless package 6.5 x 284 it is 24" and the Long Range Hunter I believe is 24" + the brake. I might be wrong but check for your self. The LRH should be a heavier flutted barrel.

As far as accuracy I don't think barrel length will effect that. It can effect velocity. I do think the LRH is pretty cool for a mid priced factory rifle.

The 111 trophy hunter is a synthetic non accustock, accutrigger, detachable mag, 24" sporter contour .585" muzzle diameter, 8 twist.

The 111 long range hunter is a synthetic accustock with karsten cheek piece, detachable mag, accutrigger, 24" medium contour .745" at the muzzle, 8 twist, the site says 26" inch barrel but they are including the 2" muzzle break.

Velocity should be virtually identical, accuracy may be better with the LRH due to the accustock but that's about it. Hope this helps.

Personally I would opt for the 110 Predator Hunter Max1 but that's just an opinion.

FYI...
You can also go with the 116 savage accu stock stainless flutted 24 inch barrel. It seem to be a slightly heavier type gun I think but it also cost either the same or more than the long range hunter. Also I think the long range hunter and the 116 both have the accu trigger as well. Choices, choices. :rolleyes:

You might not like the plastic magazine in the model 111. I would go with 110, 116, 114 (if available) before I would do any model 11/111 type rifle. There have also been lots of quality complaints on the model 11 blued 6.5mm barrels (drilled oversize, reamer does not clean up, button then has chatter in the grooves and on the lands. I have yet to hear of Savage replacing one of these barrels, even on the LRH. There have been some PO LRH buyers for sure. I have seen more of the LRH rifles for sale (used) than one would expect from a "premium" rifle.

Today, I always see a factory rifle as a donor action/stock/magazine system. If you buy one, shoot it first, sometimes you are lucky. My model 10PC is a good example (223). But otherwise, in at least 50% of the cases, you are going to end up ordering a new custom barrel and with that it will shoot like it was supposed to and not copper foul like a demon,

I have the 116 heavy barrel. It is very similar to the Predator Max. It has the chatter marks or whatever in the barrel grooves. It shoots though. 900 rounds and still hammering away with great accuracy. My buddy has a 12LRP, same barrel chatter. It shoots well too.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.