savage 110BA vs 11/111 in 338 LM

Texas Republic

I hunt quite a bit in the mountains and hike far away from any atv trail. I am kicking around the idea of selling my Savage 110BA in 338 Lapua Magnum and buying the Savage Model: 11/111 Long Range Hunter in 338 LM.

I bought the 110BA about a year ago and havent been able to use it at all for hunting since it involves so much hiking and climbing. I dont have any complaints on the accuracy of the 110BA, it just doesnt suit my needs right now.
The weight of the 111 is nearly half of the 110BA.

Have any of you shot both of these rifles or have any input?

How is the recoil with the reduced weight of the rifle?

Is the muzzle brake standard on the 111 in 338lm?

Any differences in accuracy?

Thanks fellas.

The BA is a tank. I can't imagine packing it anywhere. The weight of the firearm equals a couple days meals and a carton of granola bars..........:D

The BA is a wicked looking machine but not a hunting rifle, more of a SWAT type firearm.

The 111 LRH isn't all that light but compared to the BA, it's a flyweight.

I'm pushing 12 pounds with a Leupy on the rail, which is from the factory a 20 MOA cant.

It has a fixed brake in .338 (other chamberings in the 111 LRH offering are adjustable even though the Savage website states to the contrary)...and the recoil is light, attributable to the brake's efficiency. Nice soft butt pad. I've even shot it from my hip (not recommended) but it's quite controllable. The recoil reminds me of a 30-06. 3 position safety and the trigger is typical accutrigger, no creep and crisp. Mine came set at 3 pounds (according to the Lyman trigger pull gage) and I've left it there. The synthetic stock is clean and straight and don't touch the free floated barrel anywhere.

At least you don't have to spray the muzzle brake with brake cleaner and risk peeling the overcoating on the stock. None needed and no peeling.

I got mine with the Karsten adjustable cheek instead of the HS stock. The Karsten cheek on the snot stock is lighter (than the HS option) and works just fine for me, in fact, I've marked my rest and my son marked his so we can adjust the cheek to each of our preferences.

The big drawback for me is the barrell length. It's cumbersome in the woods, always getting hung up on low hanging pine branches when shouldered. I'm getting used to bending over and staying that way when going under trees....

Don't want to walk through a doorway with it shouldered upright.........

I keep thinking about taking a pipe cutter to the end...........:)

Shot wise, I've only had it out to 300 yards but it's putting them where I want them at 300. I expect no less (other than bullet drop) at 600 on out.

Bottom line, for the price of admission, it's a helluva long range shooter.

Appears the same as mine. Mine is fixed. Savage website shows and adjustable brake (listing) on the .338 Lapua. I called Savage about that. It's fixed, I presume for your shoulder's sake.

Not a benchrest firearm with bystanders near. I sighted mine in at our club and had a fellow about 1o feet down that shouted that I 'threw sand in his face' when I touched it off the first time. he said he could feel the pressure 10 feet away.

I imagine elk outfitters would cringe at the sight of it......:D

Still ungainly in the woods carried upright. Our west, probably no problem. Here in piney woods Michigan it's a PITA.

I haven't because the 110BA isn't what I consider a hunting (for game) rifle but a hunting for homo sapien weapon instead.

I much prefer and own numerous pistols for protection (if necessary) and I don't need or want that style of gun.

I haven't because the 110BA isn't what I consider a hunting (for game) rifle but a hunting for homo sapien weapon instead.

I much prefer and own numerous pistols for protection (if necessary) and I don't need or want that style of gun.

I agree it's not really a hunting rifle, but protection? I guess in certain situations you may need protection at 1700 yards. It seems more like half artillery cannon and half rifle.

I agree it's not really a hunting rifle, but protection? I guess in certain situations you may need protection at 1700 yards. It seems more like half artillery cannon and half rifle.

In times of strife and civil disobedience (at least that's what people think will occur:rolleyes:), it is advantageous to discharge your weapon at targets farther away than closer. The 110BA is all about targets at long distance....and of course LEO sniping.

Get yourself a 111LRH. it can assume the same role and actually be a hunting (for animals) firearm that the BA can't.

I have a Savage LRH 111 in6.5x284. I have a question about the stock on the new 338 model. Is it the same rubber coated plastic as the smaller calibers or is ia composite? there appears to be a different description in the catalog. I know the tactical 111 has an HS Prexision.

I am thinking about building a 338 lapua custom. Are you saying that the Savage is just as good out of the box?

It's not bad.... You could add a custom stock but the action/barrel is (in my opinion) pretty good out of the box, especially for the price of admission....

I sighted the scope in at 100 yards. It took 6 shots and the last 2 went down the same hole (factory ammunition). Can't say at 1000 yards but I took a doe at 265 and it tagged her exactly where I aimed at. 1000 yard shots are uncommon here. It was actually 5 shots...read below.....

Because this is a new caliber for me, I have yet to build any loads so I purchased pre-loaded factory made rounds initially.

I started another thread concerning the PPU .338 Lapua/FMJBT. I would not recommend the ammunition to anyone. It's appreciably less expensive than the Lapua loaded rounds (with Scenar projectiles), even less than the Hornady loads. However, I've experienced non-ignition with these rounds. The projectile is accurate enough (appears to be), but, if it don't light off, it's DOA.

I have no confidence in the PPU loads.

I can't imagine how ****ed I'd be if I took aim on a trophy buck and touched her off and CLICK went the firing pin and nothing......

At least it was at the range and not in the field. I racked the round 2 times to make sure. The primer is fully indented, the primer is a dud. This is unexcusable, especially in this day and age of quality control.

Numerous calls to PPU have gone unanswered and calles to the retailer, Cabelas, has netted nothing as well.

I have 2 boxes of ammunition that I deem unreliable. Time to pull the projectiles, dump the powder, pop the primers and reload with reliable components.

What I'm saying here is aviod PPU ammunition except for controlled (range) shooting where a dud don't ruin your day or hunt.

I have a Savage LRH 111 in6.5x284. I have a question about the stock on the new 338 model. Is it the same rubber coated plastic as the smaller calibers or is ia composite? there appears to be a different description in the catalog. I know the tactical 111 has an HS Prexision.

The stock-stock is rubba coated plastic (no problem with peeling because the brake is fixed so no need to use the recommended brake cleaner to keep it rotating (and cause the stock coating to peel.....:)).

You can order the 111LRH with the HS stock. The Karsten cheek comes as the standard model.

Interestingly, my little Ruger 10-22 match target rifle has the same stock, at least in material.

The catalog is a bit ambiguous. Took a call to Savage to clarify the different models.

Expect a wait on the 111LRH. They are in short supply (or at least were when I ordered mine). I suspect Savage runs limited production on this model......

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.