Savage 11/111 LongRangeHunter

If you get this rifle, some Lapua brass, Berger VLDs (140 or 130) and some H4831 all you have to figure out is seating depth, Start at 3.200 COAL and go up and down from there. it won't be much of a challenge.

If you get this rifle, some Lapua brass, Berger VLDs (140 or 130) and some H4831 all you have to figure out is seating depth, Start at 3.200 COAL and go up and down from there. it won't be much of a challenge.

10-4. I hear ya. Easy is ok too:D. THX.

I hope to have a load dialed in just a a few trips out. Then it's practice time. This gun will actually be for my sister. She was lucky enough to draw a sweet limited quota bull elk tag here in WY. It will be her 1st bull elk! I think I'm more excited than she is about it. 50% on the tag and 50% on getting a lrh meatpole set up for her! For now just patiently waiting on Savage.

I know I probably sound like a broken record in my praise for this gun. and it likely gets on others nerves. But I have never been able to afford a custom yet I have several factory guns that shoot well under an inch. I played with a custom .257 Ackley a while back and was amazed with it. This thing matches it in accuracy and is the most accurate rifle I ever owned, and I have had quite a few, have quite a few. And 13 of the first 20 loads I tried in it shot under a half inch at 100 yards and all would make around a 1.5 inch group if shot at the same target. For a factory rifle, that is remarkable in comparison to my others. I have a .300 win mag that will match the groups I am getting with this gun on a regular basis with one load. But if I change anything or load something different it may be 8 inches off from that load. this gun puts almost any load to within 1.5 inches of the same point of impact. I have just been amazed with it. I am excited for you. I never thought I would have a rifle that will shoot this well without saving for years to build a custom. Will some customs shoot better? Yes most likely, but for what I spent on this rifle, I am way more than satisfied and in fact in awe of it. I like the fact that it is all black and looks like nothing special, I wanted a gun that would be built for strict function and would make beautiful groups, it does. The bolt gets pretty slick after about 100 rounds, so I can't see doing anything to smooth it out.

Just remember this, i screwed up and put a way over pressure load that was worked up in cooler temps and blew a primer. This rendered my ejector pin useless as it flattened the top of it and now it is not long enough to throw a case out, so watch that. the load was 51.5 grains of RL17 and a 140 VLD at 3.21 inches with a fed 215 primer (which I have found to be most consistent in this rifle) Temp was 97 degrees outside, and Humidity was 88% barometric pressure at the local airport was 30.03. It was good when the temp was 81 but obviously hot. I recorded conditions when I blew the primer but only knew the temp as long as I had no problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.