Remington 700 or Savage 11/111?

17HMR

Hello,
This is my first post, and i am glad to be on the forums. Right now i own a 17HMR, but i would like to do some longer range shooting, where I live I will be shooting at max about 500 yards. I would like to get a Remington 700 chambered in .270 Win, but the Remington 700s' that i have seen on their site that are in .270 have normal field barrels, but I would like to get a rifle that has a nice bull barrel on it. Should I consider switching to .308? Most of my shooting is target shooting, but I want the round to be able to take deer out to 400 yards without a problem. I was seriously considering getting a Savage 11/111 in .270 but read a discussion about a rifle of the same model in .300 that was sour, and people saying that as of late Savage has been lowering their standards. Bottom line is I want as much accuracy from whatever rifle I get.

I was a die hard Remington 700 guy but have switched to Savage all the way. I still like my Remingtons but anything new I buy will be a Savage. You can get a lemon from anyone but Savage is the best, most accurate bang for the buck---in my opinion.

Go for the Savage. I know of a half a dozen bought over the past year at the club I belong to and they are all excellent shooters with no issues. I have bought two myself, including a LRH. My most recent, purchased a few months ago, a LRP in 260 had very good workmanship and accuracy. Either cartridge would serve your purpose. If you do not hand load, I'd go with the 308.

The Savage accuracy advantages are numerous...

1. Button rifled barrels are more consistent with less "issues" than hammer forged barrels (like Remington and pretty much everyone else uses).

2. Shorter span between the action screws limits torquing of the receiver.

3. Shorter lock time (the time from which the trigger sear breaks till primer ignites).

4. Toggle type bolt lugs do not need to be lapped, they engage evenly by nature.

5. Barrel nut design allows for closer indexing of barrel to action, and tight chambers (another accuracy advantage).

6. The new Accu-trigger can be set to break at under 2 pounds in most cases, with no creep at all.

7. With all else being equal, they cost less. :)

The Savage accuracy advantages are numerous...

1. Button rifled barrels are more consistent with less "issues" than hammer forged barrels (like Remington and pretty much everyone else uses).

2. Shorter span between the action screws limits torquing of the receiver.

3. Shorter lock time (the time from which the trigger sear breaks till primer ignites).

The locktime on a standard long action Savage is about as fast as the Remington with a Speedlock kit. The short action is faster in the Savage, and faster than what can be achived in the Remington. But the fastest locktime is still in a Remington 788. Most tests you see are flawed from the start to make their products look fantastic. Lock time actually starts with the movement of the trigger, yet rarely used by you know who in their specs.

4. Toggle type bolt lugs do not need to be lapped, they engage evenly by nature.

small disclaimer here: The floating bolt head is only as good as it is parallel front and backside. If it is parallel you are correct

5. Barrel nut design allows for closer indexing of barrel to action, and tight chambers (another accuracy advantage).

The barrel nut pulls the male thread forward into the female thread giving it far more contact. All barrels thread into the action with clearence, and when a round is fired will tend to move around in the female thread unless they are in heavy contact. How much depends on how loose the actual threads are (70% contact is about it under normal useage). But pulling the barrel into the threads stops this issue alone. Also barrel in the chamber are will be somewhat stiffer because it can't move as much because the female thread won't allow it to move. This process is called stretching, and is widely used on precisio machinery

6. The new Accu-trigger can be set to break at under 2 pounds in most cases, with no creep at all.

7. With all else being equal, they cost less. :)
gary

I'll say go with Savage and if doesn't shoot good, you can fix it yourself for most of the parts, setting headspace on 700 action could be more challenging. As far accutriger if its not target accutriger keep it if its target do not use its lowest settings it doesn't work, its only good for 3 - 2.5 lb pull otherwise safety locks up before you can pull its trigger, as far as stock if its not HS Precision then you don't want it, so you might have to change it to something rigid like B&C, Choate, HS, Hogue or laminate there are many options still you would skim bed any of them, same goes for REM 700, their synthetic stock just plain crap. Anyhow from my personal experiences with Savage and Remington I had better luck with 700 as far as accuracy goes right out-of the box and freeloating its barrel improved it even more. With its original synthetic stock which I bedded accuracy improved from 1 to .25 MOA, later I switch its stock to B&C but the accuracy remained the same... The last 2 Savage rifles I bought one their Target series another Varmint, but both with target action shot 1.5+ MOA using handloads I was developing for them, with factory ammo it was like 2.5+" @100 yards... After I changed barrels and bedded their stock their accuracy improved to .5 - .25 MOA... So good luck in your quest ;-)

gary, thanks for the comments... good stuff there. :)

I love the Remington 788 (see my screen name)... I wish we could still get new ones. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.