Tikka 300 WSM barrel length

No, those numbers are nowhere near acceptable. The Bondstrike at .540 BC and not Normas higher advertised BC at 2850fps from the barrel is in the 2100fps and 1800ftlb of energy area at 500 yds and the 175gr LRX is just under those numbers, not by much.
I'm an idiot....ran the G7 as a G1 BC. Now I'm seeing 1800fps. Apologize for the incorrect numbers.

I'm an idiot....ran the G7 as a G1 BC. Now I'm seeing 1800fps. Apologize for the incorrect numbers.
No worries, have punched many numbers through ballistic calculators and apps that left me scratching my head until I went back and checked the input. I say 600yds max, but for me, all of the conditions would have to be perfect to attempt a shot at that distance. I do routinely shoot at that distance and further at our range here in Townsend, but for me, the closer, the better.

Not heard about 2 turns,but,go a bit faster twist,to make up for velocity loss, make it short,16.5" .Do a member search "Ernie Bishop" and "7fingers" 7fingers/Randy Wise uses Savage PTA actions with 16" or less barrels, his 28 nosler and 33Nosler pistols won several ELR matches against rifles.
Thank you for this, pretty cool stuff. I read the "2 revolutions" theory on a post from Rokslide and was curious if anyone else had heard about this. Ernie is awesome and always read his stuff about short barrel shooting as I was a Contender addict for quite some time. I'm wanting to use the factory barrels in 1-11" for now and see where it takes me, if a new custom barrel is on the horizon then I'll cross that bridge.

I have a 300WSM that came with a 26" factory threaded barrel. Not exactly sure on velocity with the 26", but I think I was getting 2950 with the 175 grain LRX. 26" with suppressor is a bit awkward so I recently chopped it to 23" and threaded it.

It's not an apples-to-apples comparison because I also switched to ADG brass and worked up the load again but getting 2850 with the 175 LRX and H4350. It's a slower than I'd like, but higher charge weights start to show pressure signs. I'm sure with other powders I could get more velocity but I have a lot of that powder.

So personally I'd leave it longer...22ish? My suppressor is 6".

I have a 20" rifle in a 6.8 Western and it's nice and handy with the suppressor but I'd prefer it to be 22 just a bit more velocity.

Never heard the two turn rule. But I don't believe it…seen too many SBR's shoot well.

I built my 300wsm with a 24" barrel (10 twist, current trend is to over twist everything :rolleyes: ) but if I had to do it over, I'd do 20". Just way handier. I also typically lighten up bullet weight to compensate for the speed. Example, I've got a 16" saum but I shoot 130's from it.

I post because so much of your feedback was leading down the path of your crazy…do it, you won't regret it.

Thank you for this, pretty cool stuff. I read the "2 revolutions" theory on a post from Rokslide and was curious if anyone else had heard about this. Ernie is awesome and always read his stuff about short barrel shooting as I was a Contender addict for quite some time. I'm wanting to use the factory barrels in 1-11" for now and see where it takes me, if a new custom barrel is on the horizon then I'll cross that bridge.

Well, I have never heard of the two revolution rule, and I guess my barrels have not heard of it either.
Choose the length you want and go have fun

Thanks Ernie, I'm going to go with a 19" barrel, 1/2"x28 threads with a direct thread Nomad TI and their e-brake.
1/2x28 threads on a .30 caliber bore? You might want to confirm that. That's a common thread size for .223, etc. But I'd say 6.5/.264 to .30 caliber is almost always going to have 5/8x24 threads. I don't think 1/2x28 will leave enough barrel thickness on a .30 caliber bore.

Maybe just a typo on your part, but I'd hate for you to have problems so I thought I'd mention it.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/1-2x28-threaded-30-cal-rifles-suppressor-horror-stories.298053/ This is an issue I've been researching extensively. The Weatherby Vanguard Meateater came stock in 300 Weatherby and 300 WM with 1/2"x28 threads and the Mark V Hunter model in the same cartridges still does. Iv'e been in contact with Dead Air and there response to my emails regarding the measurements Iv'e sent them was to use the 1/2"x28 Hub #LT301. Fortunately I have a spare new Tikka barrel that if it doesn't work out I'll swap out and put the can on my 6.5x284.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/1-2x28-threaded-30-cal-rifles-suppressor-horror-stories.298053/ This is an issue I've been researching extensively. The Weatherby Vanguard Meateater came stock in 300 Weatherby and 300 WM with 1/2"x28 threads and the Mark V Hunter model in the same cartridges still does. Iv'e been in contact with Dead Air and there response to my emails regarding the measurements Iv'e sent them was to use the 1/2"x28 Hub #LT301. Fortunately I have a spare new Tikka barrel that if it doesn't work out I'll swap out and put the can on my 6.5x284.
I just read the first page of that thread, thanks for the link.

I stand corrected! It certainly doesn't seem to be a problem for those who have done which is great. I guess it makes sense because I have some threaded 9mm barrels that are 1/2x28 and .355ish is a lot larger bore than .308. But also a lot less pressure (and probably less weight as my 9mm suppressors are lighter than my rifle cans).

Thanks for the insight.

I just read the first page of that thread, thanks for the link.

I stand corrected! It certainly doesn't seem to be a problem for those who have done which is great. I guess it makes sense because I have some threaded 9mm barrels that are 1/2x28 and .355ish is a lot larger bore than .308. But also a lot less pressure (and probably less weight as my 9mm suppressors are lighter than my rifle cans).

Thanks for the insight.
This topic has made me nervous since I decided to go suppressed. I just gonna cross my fingers and do it. And thanks for bringing it up, it'll give someone else something to think about as well. The velocity loss and the increased blast inside the suppressor are now my concerns, I'm thinking of actually making the barrel 19.6" and the .600 will be the threaded portion making the total with the e-brake in the 27.5" to 28" neighborhood.