Tikka 300 WSM barrel length

Sockeye66

I'm in the beginning stages of setting up a suppressed Tikka 300 WSM with a 1-11" twist barrel. My question/concern is what length to shorten the barrel to (I have another factory barrel I will leave full length if something goes awry). I've read that a bullet needs two full revolutions to stabilize properly meaning a 1-11" twist would need a 22" barrel, I'd like to go in the 18"-20" neighborhood. Any solid input is greatly appreciated.

I'm in the beginning stages of setting up a suppressed Tikka 300 WSM with a 1-11" twist barrel. My question/concern is what length to shorten the barrel to (I have another factory barrel I will leave full length if something goes awry). I've read that a bullet needs two full revolutions to stabilize properly meaning a 1-11" twist would need a 22" barrel, I'd like to go in the 18"-20" neighborhood. Any solid input is greatly appreciated.
I would speed it up to 8.5 twist for that short a barrel for a better stability factor

Ask the guys who shoot long range pistol about that theory.

I'd probably go with 18". Not sure your sacrificing much and will be adding a considerable length with the suppressor.

How far do you plan to shoot this setup?

Not heard about 2 turns,but,go a bit faster twist,to make up for velocity loss, make it short,16.5" .Do a member search "Ernie Bishop" and "7fingers" 7fingers/Randy Wise uses Savage PTA actions with 16" or less barrels, his 28 nosler and 33Nosler pistols won several ELR matches against rifles.

Ask the guys who shoot long range pistol about that theory.

I'd probably go with 18". Not sure your sacrificing much and will be adding a considerable length with the suppressor.

How far do you plan to shoot this setup?
Realistically, 600 yards on animals (deer/elk) would be max, I'm currently shooting the 175gr LRX at 3000 and the Norma 180gr Bondstrike at 3050, hoping to shoot those same loads in 2850-2900 range for a 18-20" barrel, deciding between the TBAC 5, Nomad TI, and the Banish Backcountry.

@Sockeye66

Realistically, 600 yards on animals (deer/elk) would be max, I'm currently shooting the 175gr LRX at 3000 and the Norma 180gr Bondstrike at 3050, hoping to shoot those same loads in 2850-2900 range for a 18-20" barrel, deciding between the TBAC 5, Nomad TI, and the Banish Backcountry.
Do you think impact velocity of 1300fps/680lbs at 500 or 1150fps/520lbs t 600 is adequate to provide expansion and energy to kill a deer or elk quickly? Quickly to me is a normal bang flop dead, or 20yd bolt wobble flop and dead. Walking or standing sick for five minutes before laying down, and actually dying five to 20 minutes laying down.

Do you think impact velocity of 1300fps/680lbs at 500 or 1150fps/520lbs t 600 is adequate to provide expansion and energy to kill a deer or elk quickly? Quickly to me is a normal bang flop dead, or 20yd bolt wobble flop and dead. Walking or standing sick for five minutes before laying down, and actually dying five to 20 minutes laying down.
No, those numbers are nowhere near acceptable. The Bondstrike at .540 BC and not Normas higher advertised BC at 2850fps from the barrel is in the 2100fps and 1800ftlb of energy area at 500 yds and the 175gr LRX is just under those numbers, not by much.