300 RUM Barrel Length

gaps

I am building a custom 300RUM off of a Remington 700 action, HS Precision Sendero stock, badger thruster brake, ect...I have a 31" Krieger Remington Varmit contour barrel and I'm not sure what length I want to go with. I'm thinking no longer than 30" and no less than 28". I plan on shooting the Berger 210, 215, or 230s if I can ever find some to buy. This will be my only rifle and I will be hunting Deer and Elk here in Az. I also want to practice well past 1000 yards. I searched the forum about this topic but I also wanted to see some new opinions. Thanks for helping!

I am building a custom 300RUM off of a Remington 700 action, HS Precision Sendero stock, badger thruster brake, ect...I have a 31" Krieger Remington Varmit contour barrel and I'm not sure what length I want to go with. I'm thinking no longer than 30" and no less than 28". I plan on shooting the Berger 210, 215, or 230s if I can ever find some to buy. This will be my only rifle and I will be hunting Deer and Elk here in Az. I also want to practice well past 1000 yards. I searched the forum about this topic but I also wanted to see some new opinions. Thanks for helping!

26" would be minimum 28" would be good and with the heavy barrel you could go to 30".

beyond that It will not add much velocity.

I would opt for the 28" if it were mine.

J E CUSTOM

My 300 RUM was just finished today at Straight Shot Gunsmithing and I did a Proof Research barrel at 27". I think anything 26-28" is good for the RUM.

Anything over 28" is going to be a PITA to pack around in the woods. You are already adding at least 2.5" with the brake.

At 28" you are going to be approaching maximum powder burn and velocity so either 28 or 29" would be the max I'd suggest leaning towards 28" just for the sake of convenience.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm gonna do a 28". Not only hunting wise would be easier but also having it fit in a gun case!

With recent knowledge I would go with 26" for convenience. I also hunt Az and use the Rum mostly for elk hunting.

My first 300 RUM barrel was a 27" #5 lilja. When the 230 gr Berger came out I couldn't use it as it didn't have enough twist. As an experiment I rechambered a 24" Rem takeoff in 300 win mag to 300 RUM to try those new bullets. I chose RL-33 and was pleasantly surprised to get 2975 fps with this short barrel!

I intend to carry that short barreled rifle on this year's elk hunt and will use it till it wears out. I know it sounds strange but the difference between 27" and 24" is a huge in this rifle's feel and handling. The barrel profile is a bit smaller which also helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.