TIGHTEN PRIMER POCKETS, here's how.

Great idea. I have been using a primer pocket tightening tool available from Midway that cost about $30. The only thing to keep an eye out for is that your loads aren't overpressure, causing the loose primers. If the new brass has sufficient tightness, and after one or two shots you have to retighten the pocket, this may be an indicator. With my 260 loaded at 45gr of powder I would get loose primer pockets after one or two shots, new brass or retightened. No other pressure signs. With 43.7 gr. I can get 8+ loads using the same lot of brass. This same effect occurred with three different brands of brass as well as different lots within the same brand. The reason I stuck with the high pressure load and tried working around this was that the 45gr load consistenly produced sub .25MOA accuracy. Groups opened up with lighter loads.

Makes sense, keep doing something unsafe because you like the results.

Makes sense, keep doing something unsafe because you like the results.

Once I realized that over pressure was the issue and not out of spec brass which has happened to me, I did back off the load and eventually went to a slower burning powder. I wasn't too clear my post on this but appreciate your sarcasm anyway.

I'm glad you cleared that up. Didn't make sense to keep ruining expensive brass and taking chances with your health either.

Not sure how this works but I'm gonna try it

Are you not sure;
how it works
Or
How well it works. ??

Make sure you have a chrome ball bearing and a hardened bolt. Did you watch the video I made that you requested?

If you have any questions about this let me know.

Good video and a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Video is awesome too...everything it should be, nothing it shouldn't.

Here i just scrapped 50 win brass for my 300 mag with loose primer pockets.

*face palm*

I know what you mean.
I anneal all my brass and partial full length size. After 5 firings or so I will cut one on half to see if there is thinning above the case head. No problems with case head separation or cracked necks so I always loose my brass because of loose primer pockets.
I thought it was a waste. So I started to repair them.

I didn't really want to disclose this without testing it for a few firings .
I will definitely discard these WHEN they start blowing by gass to my bolt face. But I'll know that I did the best I could.

Shot some repaired 300wm today. The first 5 on the left are repairs the one on the right is a non repair that is still tight for comparison.
Notice no gass blow-by on the case head.
Just thought you guys would like to see.

Attachments

• 20150424_082333.jpg
    20150424_082333.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 358
  • 20150424_082316.jpg
    20150424_082316.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 356
Have you experimented with any different size hardened ball bearings, or have you only done this with the 3/4" diameter size? Could you envision any benefit to going with a larger or smaller diameter ball bearing?

I own and have used the RW Hart tool that was designed and sold to do the same thing. The face of the punch that was used to compress the brass surrounding the primer pocket was too soft to endure long use. It worked well for several casings, but then it deformed more so than the brass case head. This was a tough one to figure. It shouldn't have required too much effort or expense to fabricate the punch out of steel that would be strong enough to deform/compress the brass, rather than vice versa.

I've not used your technique yet, but I view it as the better method. lightbulb I'll probably brainstorm a differing means to secure the ball bearing than using my bench vise. Perhaps a beefy piece of steel with a 5/8" diameter hole which supports the lower half of the ball bearing. Then set both on an anvil or a concrete floor and hammer away.

In my original post I was supposed to have written 1/2" or 3/4". Sorry.
I'm actually now using a 1/2" chrome bearing.

I would prefer to have the bearing welded on 1/2" or thicker plate. Thicker because I simply hate the way plate draws up at the edges when welding pipe to the center.

I have heard that primer tighteneing tools work well the first firing, but then it must be done with each reloading. True or false?

Recent Posts