any way to tighten primer pockets

ammo burner

some of my 30-378 brass will not hold primers. some are loose. brass is expensive. is there any way to save them.

Assuming this isn't new brass, loose primers mean the brass is toast. If it is new brass, maybe it is a bad batch? Pushing loads too hard can increase stretch and decrease brass life. Throw it out and start over IMO.

GG did an evaluation of the primer pocked swage tool. If I remember correctly the thing got mixed reviews tending towards the low side.

I've discovered that two very small drops of super glue applied with the very tip of a tooth pick with the super glue applied in two spots opposite each other on the primer pocked bearing surface works very well for me.

The down side is that moisture has a very easy path to the powder. If you use ice to cool the cartridges ensure they are are in a water tight poly bag.

I've noticed no blow by indications and run pretty fair pressures in a 270 Allen Mag (otherwise I wouldn't have such loose primer pockets so quickly).

Some of the pockets are loose enough that I seat the primer with my thumb. But be careful with the super glue and the thumb. Use rubber gloves if you're sloppy like I am.:)

thanks. i'll check into the hart tool he is only 45 min away. i am going there to talk to him about getting my 30-378 rebarreled away.

Just ordered mine off his online store hope they are what their cracked up to be. Considering how hard it is to get brass these days it should be well worth the money.

Thanks fella's
Nathan

Haven't tried the Hart tool, but it'd be worth a shot. In the mean time, you migth try switching primers, depending on what you're already using. The CCI primers tend to run a bit large, and will "cure" the problem for another firing or two, maybe even more. This isn't really a "fix" a much as a stopgap measure, but there ya' go.

Kevin Thomas

Michael,
And here I was trying to find a nice, polite way to say that. It's a limiting factor, no question, and needs to be read as such.

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

Michael, Kevin,

Squat, that ain't no fun:D

I still like the super glue thing.:rolleyes:

I really feel that as my wind reading abilities and my shooting confidence improves the pressures will decrease.

i know they are to hot but i like pushing the 3500fps with 180's and they really rip deer up i never have to track them

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.