Primer pockets: How deep?

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
How deep should the primer pockets be on case that uses LR primers? I'm messing w/a uniforming tool and is cutting them to .131". Most start out @ .128-.130". Is this too deep? I don't want ruin a bunch of brass b/c I'm an idiot!!

Thanks,
B.J.

That sounds good to me. As long as the primers seat such that their anvils contact the pocket bottom and their top is a few thousandths below case head and the anvil preloads the priming pellet a bit, all's fine.

Thanks a million guys!!! I guess my .131" is ok. The only thing that concerns me in that the primer .010" deep. That seems a bit deep to me but they are going to be over .005" no matter what I do. I guess as long as my firing pin reaches them they'll do their job!!

Bill,
Just noticed your post on primer pocket depth.I had the same question.
Forster recommends seating the primer .004".However after I have uniformed the pockets on my Lapua brass my seated primers are running from .008"-.010".I havee been told that this is to deep,but I have not experenced any problems.
However,I now just barely uniform the pockets to just square up the outside diameter at the bottom of the pocket and just seat the primer until I feel it bottom out.I think that I was putting too much "elbo grease" into my uniforming efforts and recutting the pocket making it deeper.With my new strategy the primers are seated from .004"-.006".Can't say that there is any difference in groups,etc.,but makes me feel better!!
Jimmy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts