Thoughts on Savage 116

From what I have found on the net the magazine is 3.6". There was a Remington 700 at my local Walmart for around $350. I don't remember if it was a long action. I just like Savage because the barrel and bolt head can be switched out easily. Remington requires a complete bolt change.
Thats a little short to get full performance out of the SM. You need 3.7"+

I just measured my 116 in .30-06, internal mag box is 3.5" on my ruler if I find my calipers I can take a more precise measurement later. I really like mine, it is the first rifle that I ever wanted. Mine has the accutrigger and accustock and has always been a shooter, I would snag that one for $300.

I still say its a bargain if you only use the action, but other pieces have some value. Last used sporter factory barrel I sold quick for $30 the accutrigger is worth $20 (just sold 2), the stock depending on which one, is worth some money also. Your call, but I would buy the gun if it was a short action ( I don't care for long actions just a flaw in my character ) ,part it out, and end up with an inexpensive action to true up and turn into a new custom rifle on the cheap.

I have been thinking of some way to have multiple calibers by just switching barrels. Didn't know if the 116 would be a good choice.

I have been thinking of some way to have multiple calibers by just switching barrels. Didn't know if the 116 would be a good choice.
I've yet to test it, but in theory, it should work well. I have a new 264WM barrel I'll be installing on one of my 111 LRHs, which currently is wearing a Shilen 300WM barrel with the NSS barrel nut. The 300 is nearing the end of it's life, but still shoots great, so I'm hoping to use the 264WM for plinking/practice. This will hopefully extend the life of the 300WM for a couple more seasons.

You'll want to invest in a barrel nut with wrench flats or teeth, the appropriate wrench, and some sort of action wrench or vice blocks. The factory nut is normally round, and getting them off is usually pretty tough, as they torque them at the factory to about 10,000 ftlbs, and perhaps use some sort of thread locker. I use a pipe wrench, and then toss the mangled thing in the trash.

Once you've gotten it apart though, you can retorque to ~50 ftlbs, and from there on out it's much easier.

The only other issue I see with "quick change", is you'll likely need to remove the scope, rings, and rail, in order to get the action into an action wrench or vice blocks.

Once you know what you're doing though, you can probably do a swap in 45 minutes, including the rail/scope.

I ordered a shilen select match barrel through nss for my wife's target rifle in 243ai 1:7 twist. This will be my first barrel swap. I think $400 for a quality barrel is better than $700+ for an unknown factory rig, and you only need to blue print two or three actions.

Switch barrels are a great idea, once proficient takes 20-30 minutes. NSS sells the wrench and barrel vise very reasonable, headspace on go no go gauge. Savage guns are easy to turn custom can do your own trigger work or swap outs and install machined recoil lug and barrel. Pick a good stock and float the barrel and tang....got something you can work up a good load with. If you know someone with a lathe they can crown barrels and true the action face and barrelnut for you. Custom gun ready to go.

I recently bought a Savage 116 just so I could have a nice stainless rifle that I could swap barrels. I'm always the 2nd guy to hear about a good deal, so I don't have a feel for the best prices, but before I bought this one, I couldn't find a used stainless accu-trigger, center feed for anywhere close to $300....most were over $400. Keep in mind that I was looking for a magnum bolt face long action, even though I could swap bolt heads I'm only going to use magnum calibers this gun. That may have something to do with the cost.

All my best,
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts