??'s on Savage 116 6.5x284

I got the model 22 Phoenix. Sorry, not tech savvy enough for pics. Matte blue action, 26" stainless 8-twist bbl, black/red webbed stock w/ vented forearm. It came w/ a factory mounted Farrell 20 moa base. I don't know if this is a good base or not, but I looked them up and retail is $118. Nice bonus plus no sales tax in MT.

Nice choice. I ordered a M52 Excalibur w/ synthetic stock, 26 in stainless bbl, and stainless action at the beginning of Mar13. I was told 4-6 months. I am not a huge fan of the red webbing, but it is growing on me.

Bounty Hunter- The 6.5x284's I looked at this weekend were long action. The 116 FCSS? and the 111 LRH. Don't know about throating issues. That's the first I've heard of this, but I'm new to Savages. I do have a 16 sporter 243, that you can seat bullets way out on. I wasn't sure about the single shot Cooper at first, but it should be easier to find the perfect depth without having the mag constraints. Probably not an issue w/ a long action anyway.

Drift - There were two repeaters in 6.5 @ Scheels in Rapid City. 1 all black metal, green w/ black web stock. And 1 tan stock w/ stainless. I don't really care for the red/black either, but it's growing on me. I don't really like the looks of the vented forend either, but I guess it serves a purpose.

I have not seen a 6.5x284 in short action and the folks on savage websites claim they are all LA action as well. My savage is typical of most stock rifles and SAAMI chambers where the throat is long and seating to the lands is not practical for hunting. I am currently at .075 off and plan to go deeper for giggles soon to see if there is better accuracy node with the 140 vld.

Brent- One thing I found interesting on the ones like yours I viewed this weekend. They all had the plastic button, front of trigger guard bolt release, and the small bolt handle w/ the molded in checkering panel. I much prefer the way yours is configured.

I have the 116 and its a long action. I keep my over all length I believe about 3.1 so I dont have trouble running the bolt and the mag. The 140 bergers seat fine and there is no issue with having to seat the bullet deep into the case. The ammo I had pressure issues with was HSM's trophy gold and the bergers were seated much deeper than my loads. They shot about .75 inches at about 3020fps. But when ejecting them my bolt was stiff and I had marking on the case base. I think the savages are defenitly shooters for a factory rifle. Its been the best I have had so far.

I just ordered the Cooper M52 has the Jackson hunter stock in green with black web 6.5x284....can't wait to scope.it and start shooting.

I bought it off the guns American site. They had 3 pages of Coopers but only one was exactly what I wanted. It should ship right away, they said it was in stock. It is actually called the M52 Jackson Excaliber. I didn't see this combo on Coopers site. It is ss/synthetic 24" in the Jackson style stock but also has the fluted bolt and barrel.

I had looked/researched the Savage LRH and was going in that direction, But read lots about the length/weight and decided to sell an AR or 2 to come up with the extra $$ for the Cooper.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.