Opinions on Savage 116 300rum barrel

robbor

I have a savage 116fss 300 rum and would like to add a heavy barrel about 28-30" to reduce the kick and maybe flatten out my trajectory a little. Will a stock long action handle this well ? I was thinking about maybe looking for a light weight barrel bedding block to float the action? The current barrel is 26" heavy sporter. And I may even go longer than 30", but just a thought.

Depends on the contour. Ive seen light palma contour 32" barrels on unblocked savage actions.

Savage makes a heck of a rifle but the one thing that sucks on them is the stock. From what you have wrote I would figure you have thier standard synthetic stock. I had the exact same rifle and I hated the stock. If you were gonna upgrade on this setup I would say do this. Go with a 28-20" bbl in a lighter wieght contour, try and get the finished gun wieght to around 10-12lbs, and put a holland brake on it.

I have been amazed at the difference these brakes make. If you wanna increase the rigidity go with a heavier weight profile and have the barrel heavy fluted to have the wieght of a light bbl and rigidity of a heavier one. IF you are just wanting to hunt with it go with a standard twist, i think 1-10, and shot the 180gr accubond or the 210gr Wildcat ULD. You should be able to push these plenty fast and their aint anything, maybe brown bear, that it wouldnt drop like a truck hit it.

You might talk to Kirby Allen, FiftyDriver, about his sporter extreme v-block design for a bbl bedding block.

As for the recoil the holland brake will cut it down to 308 range. IF you dont go to the brake the heavier bullets seem to push more than snape on the recoil. If you seat the rifle properly the recoil if managable since it recoil "around you". Hold the rifle wrong and you feel like someone drop kicks ya in the shoulder.

The round can be accurate as hell. Put a custom bbl on it and you wont be disapointed. You might think about doing away with the savage "dog knot" bbl system and go with a rem recoil lug. Looks a lot cleaner

Good luck
steve

I just finished load development on a 116BSS .300 RUM and was very pleased with the results...only added a Timney trigger and Holland QD brake. 500 yards groups w/ RL-25 and 180gr TSX are running in the .5 to .75 MOA range. After proper break in it will clean up with about 5 patches of Sweets. I think if you add a brake you will be pleasantly suprised.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.