Thoughts on Savage 116

Used to have one in 300 win mag and it was great. Just bought a 16 in 300wsm. Have several 110 s. Great gun for the money. It's nice being able to put a new barrel on in less than an hour and you can usually get a decent barrel pretty cheap.

116 is the long action and 16 is the short action. Don't own any long actions so can't give you a measurement. I would think the action alone is worth the money, I would change the barrel, recoil lug, stock, and trigger anyway so would buy it for the action. Dave

I like the action. I like the rifle. But I think it's a little high if you only want the action.

What length is the 116 magazine?
I have a two 111 LRH's, in 7mm and 300 mag, with hinged floor plates, and they have short boxes at 3.50". I also measured the DBM in a 7mm Mag 110 High Country, and it's also 3.50". I'm assuming the 116 is the same.

If the rifle has the AccuTrigger and AccuStock, then $300 is a real good price. Toss another $350-$450 into a Shilen/Criterion from NSS, and you'll have a sweet rig.

From what I have found on the net the magazine is 3.6". There was a Remington 700 at my local Walmart for around $350. I don't remember if it was a long action. I just like Savage because the barrel and bolt head can be switched out easily. Remington requires a complete bolt change.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.