thoughts on a new .308?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by skeeterboud, Aug 7, 2012.

1. skeeterboud

skeeterboud Well-Known Member

i know everyone here likes remington/custom 700's, but i'm thinking of getting a cz 550 varmint .308/kevlar. a few years ago, remington would have been my only option, but have had a few minor problems with off the shelf 700's(had to send an xcr tact. long range back b/c of burs in the chamber which prevented getting a shell out w/out a cleaning rod down the muzzle.... now it's an awesome shooting rifle, that i hope never to part with!...... have a sendero that once in awhile shoots 3/4 at 100 w/factory anything, usually 1.25- 1.75", which is too large of a group for a $1100 gun)

might try something off the beaten path, have read many good things about cz all i own now is remington and weatherby

any feedback, warnings, etc?

2. backwoods83

backwoods83 Well-Known Member

CZs are tpyically excellent shooters, and look good as well.
    My personal choice would be a Savage model 10fcp-HS, or if I wanted the best looks and accuracy I might shell out 1500 for a Kimber Tactical, but the extra 500 could get lots of ammo or 2/3 of a new scope if looks isn't as important as function.

3. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

If you want to stay away from big green and want a shooter-- get a savage or tikka. They both make a heck of a weapon for the $$$$

4. jehu

jehu Well-Known Member

Sako SS Varmint 308, IMO.

5. surjimmy

surjimmy Well-Known Member

Tikka T3 gets my vote.

6. skeeterboud

skeeterboud Well-Known Member

thinks it's narrowed down to the sako, remington 700 police

thanks, to all!

7. Hunter2678

Hunter2678 Well-Known Member

Sako all the way..its head and shoulders above the remmy.