Thoughts on a 27 prc

I asked this same question the other day over on LRO and you would have thought I was the devil? People either love or hate the .277? LRO members don't like it😉 Anyway, I'm currently running a 7-300PRC with fantastic results (thanks scottw2119). I was thinking the new 7PRC case would do for the .277 like the 300PRC did for the .284? My only issue was the brass Availability, but I think that's starting to change?

I'm a .277 fan and think it's just about the right medicine for anything down here in Texas. A new rifle just isn't in the works right now, so I'll just have to wait and see what somebody else can do with it....good luck.

I asked this same question the other day over on LRO and you would have thought I was the devil? People either love or hate the .277? LRO members don't like it😉 Anyway, I'm currently running a 7-300PRC with fantastic results (thanks scottw2119). I was thinking the new 7PRC case would do for the .277 like the 300PRC did for the .284? My only issue was the brass Availability, but I think that's starting to change?

I'm a .277 fan and think it's just about the right medicine for anything down here in Texas. A new rifle just isn't in the works right now, so I'll just have to wait and see what somebody else can do with it....good luck.
What's LRO?

Ive been curious about this as well- case capacity slightly ahead of the WSM but short of the Wby.

Sounds like a good science project!! I have some 170EOLs and want to try the 156HH as well. Just cant decide on a cartridge for a fast twist .277

I do not think it was that bad and no different from here. If you did not know, most LRO members are also here. This is why I never ask what rifle to buy or build. Most prefer the .28 cal over .27 cal. A few years ago, I originally was going to build a .280 AI, but everybody in there has one; I opted for a .270 AI instead for the heavies (165/175 Matrix VLDs). Only a handful of us are here; that is how I like it. If you want it, build it, and do not worry about what others think.

Last edited:
I do not think it was that bad and no different from here. If you did not know, most LRO members are also here. This is why I never ask what gun or rifle to buy or build. Most prefer the .28 cal over .27 cal. A few years ago, I originally was going to build a .280 AI, but everybody in there has one; I opted for a .270 AI instead for the heavies (165/175 Matrix VLDs). Only a handful of us are here, and that is how I like it. If you want it, build it, and do not worry about what others think.
I wasn't asking the question for approval, just wanted to know if anybody had done it yet and what kinda performance they were getting? I guess that's the pitfall for putting a question on a forum, you're gonna get it all....no matter if you asked for it or not? I enjoy reading people's responses and reasoning, just bothers me a bit when I get feedback telling me something else is better. Better for what? I didn't even say what I was going to use it for and yet they have something better? I think sometimes a few folks on the net think everything has to be ELK capable and all standards are for that purpose. I think the .277 is elk capable anyway😎