Thoughts on a 27 prc

THAT!!!!! sounds like a great project. Ill bet the 170 Grn Bergers will shoot really well in a 26-inch barrel with an 8 twist. Please keep us posted. !! O conner killed several elk many years ago with his 270 Win. I killed an elk with my 270 Wby Mag and a 150 grn Speer Grand Slam bullet. I'm sure your set up will easily take elk with 150 and 170 grn bullets. Good luck Buddy!!!!

We all have a love for shooting that is why we do it. I too am a big 270 fan and love everything 270. Building a fast twist 270 right now. I know a lot of the things we do won't pass the "why do that" test. Because we want to scratch that itch and see what we can do with something a little different. Not everyone will agree but that is OK. We all like what we like and a 270/7PRC sounds like a very usable fun cartridge to play with. It will make a great hunting rifle and can push the heavies fast enough to work with a variety of bullets. I am building a 7mm PRC for my brother right now for his South Texas deer lease that demand he shoot a "magnum" caliber. We previously built a 6.5 PRC for deer hunting and he took it on our last Elk hunt and killed a nice 384 bull with it. Many will tell you it was not large enough for Elk but bullet selection and proper placement made it work just fine. Was it the ideal Elk cartridge...no....but it worked. Keep building and experimenting with whatever cartridge you can dream up. You never know you might stumble on the next best thing!

Keep them in the 10 ring!

I asked this same question the other day over on LRO and you would have thought I was the devil? People either love or hate the .277? LRO members don't like it😉 Anyway, I'm currently running a 7-300PRC with fantastic results (thanks scottw2119). I was thinking the new 7PRC case would do for the .277 like the 300PRC did for the .284? My only issue was the brass Availability, but I think that's starting to change?

I'm a .277 fan and think it's just about the right medicine for anything down here in Texas. A new rifle just isn't in the works right now, so I'll just have to wait and see what somebody else can do with it....good luck.
Scott builds some nice rifles along with good prices.

Some shooters believe in math, some in magic or pixie dust. Ultimately we are at the mercy of the bullet and powder makers and to what brass we can manipulate. It is good if you like it however cheap bore scopes and chronographs have broken more hearts than Lonnie Anderson.

s

We all have a love for shooting that is why we do it. I too am a big 270 fan and love everything 270. Building a fast twist 270 right now. I know a lot of the things we do won't pass the "why do that" test. Because we want to scratch that itch and see what we can do with something a little different. Not everyone will agree but that is OK. We all like what we like and a 270/7PRC sounds like a very usable fun cartridge to play with. It will make a great hunting rifle and can push the heavies fast enough to work with a variety of bullets. I am building a 7mm PRC for my brother right now for his South Texas deer lease that demand he shoot a "magnum" caliber. We previously built a 6.5 PRC for deer hunting and he took it on our last Elk hunt and killed a nice 384 bull with it. Many will tell you it was not large enough for Elk but bullet selection and proper placement made it work just fine. Was it the ideal Elk cartridge...no....but it worked. Keep building and experimenting with whatever cartridge you can dream up. You never know you might stumble on the next best thing!

Keep them in the 10 ring!
Many will tell you the ideal elk cartridge is .338 Allen Magnum.
For some folks on here the only thing that qualifies for "enough gun" is whatever they're shooting.

I wasn't asking the question for approval, just wanted to know if anybody had done it yet and what kinda performance they were getting? I guess that's the pitfall for putting a question on a forum, you're gonna get it all....no matter if you asked for it or not? I enjoy reading people's responses and reasoning, just bothers me a bit when I get feedback telling me something else is better. Better for what? I didn't even say what I was going to use it for and yet they have something better? I think sometimes a few folks on the net think everything has to be ELK capable and all standards are for that purpose. I think the .277 is elk capable anyway😎
Jack O'Connor definitely thought you are right and so do I

If I'm not mistaken one of the barrel makers for Krieger or Bartlein chimed in on this here but a different thread of course. He mentioned it would be a serious barrel burner. For a hunting rig should be fine though. I'm pretty sure he said expect about 600-700 rounds from it.