This is why I shoot Berger bullets

Marine sniper

I just got back from a little vacation to some property I have in Idaho. It just so happens we have a hayfield that is over 1200 yards across and almost completely open. I was not able to do as much shooting as I wanted; but was able to do some long range shooting with my custom 300 Wby. I shoot 210 Bergers at 2980-2990 fps. These are all the groups that I fired other than one at 1212 yards I screwed up by not holding the rifle tight enough. It went 13 inches. Every now and then I try to be a bench rest shooter and loosen the grip on one of my big magnums and it opens the group up every time.

It was a pretty calm day, could barely see a little wind in the mirage.

I shot two, three shot groups at each range other than 1212, which I shot 3. I am a big fan of Berger bullets, I don't feed this 300 Weatherby anything else.

The groups measure
600-1: 1.75 in
600-2: 3.5 in.
1000-1: 5 11/16
1000-2: 3 11/16
1212-1: 5
1212-2: 13 (not in picture)
1212-3: 3 3/4

RR600.JPG

RR1212.JPG

rr8-5range.JPG

Nothing satisfies like a nice group at 1200 yards! I bet you still have a smile on your face. Nice shooting. Thanks for sharing.

Great shooting! Wow!
What are the details of your load? I'd like to give those Berger 210s a try in my 300wby. My Wby is an off-the-shelf Accumark so I wouldn't expect your accuracy but it might bring mine to life.
Thanks for sharing you pictures.

Great post ! I shoot 210 bergers in my 300 rum also I can't wait to try them at some long range, now I know what to expect. Thanks for the pictures as well:)

Great shooting! Wow!
What are the details of your load? I'd like to give those Berger 210s a try in my 300wby. My Wby is an off-the-shelf Accumark so I wouldn't expect your accuracy but it might bring mine to life.
Thanks for sharing you pictures.

Thanks for the comments guys. I have put a lot of work and research into this rifle, it is nice it has paid off.

As for the load all the standard warnings apply, all rifles are different, reduce and work your way up, etc, etc. I use 80.0 of 7828 with 215 primers. The bullet is just off the lands .010-.020. In my rifle this is a very hot load. When the temps get above 90* it starts beating the brass up pretty bad. I don't think the load will be that hot in other 300 Wby's, but because I have a turn neck chamber it seems to be more pressure sensitive. I'll bet other 300 Wby's could get over 3000 fps with these bullets, but they may be more accurate at just under.

Not trying to change thread but I have a 30-378Wby and will be reloading the 210 bergers and just had a new barrel put on and its a lilja 30" stainless fluted put on and the just about everything you can have done to the action stock and anything else you can think of to make it shoot more accurate.
What type of powder and what grains do you think I should start with?

With the factory tube I was shooting 180gr Barnes X with 104gr of RL 25 and accuracy and velocity was great

Not trying to change thread but I have a 30-378Wby and will be reloading the 210 bergers and just had a new barrel put on and its a lilja 30" stainless fluted put on and the just about everything you can have done to the action stock and anything else you can think of to make it shoot more accurate.
What type of powder and what grains do you think I should start with?

With the factory tube I was shooting 180gr Barnes X with 104gr of RL 25 and accuracy and velocity was great

I also have a 30-378. I do not plan on shooting the 210 Bergers in this rifle though. I keep hoping they will get the 230 gr. Bergers to market that have been talked about.

I have just started to get my 30-378 to the range and I am using H50BMG with 220 Hat's and 240 SMK's. Starting at around 105 grs.

Do your groups open up on the small calibers as well or only your big guns. That is some impressive shooting. The reason i ask is my goal is to shoot to 1000yds, right now i i use a free grip style so my gun jumps each time on the bipod. My 100 yds groups are between 3/8 and 1/2 so dont know how it will affect groups at 1000yds. Im impressed that you take the time to label and paste your shoots. I also am using berger vlds

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.