Is this what I should expect?

I don't see how you could be an accomplished long range hunter/ shooter by firing "a few" practice rounds before hunting season each year... sounds rather novice, to me...unless your not really shooting at long range, but normal hunting ranges, then your fine, with the barrel lasting a lifetime. You need lots of field shooting experience to be good, requiring lots of practice.. which requires barrels and components be used. Expensive...yes... example: back in the day a famous record setting benchrest shooter bought 8 to 10 barrel blanks at a time, to have his famous gunsmith chamber for the same BR cartridge, 6mm PPC...this "might" last one season of competition.. as he'd change barrels as soon as they quit meeting his high demands...some never made it into competition. Being the best or just being good at it, cost money...you really have to pay to play...if you're not going through barrels, you're not practicing enough, and probably not an accomplished LR shooter. Just a fact...take what the barrel gives ya...if accuracy falls below your standards in 5 or 6 hundred rds ...rebarrel...and keep shooting.

As Eric Cortina said don't chase the lands.😂Hot rods are going to erode quickly. This is my .243 that was barreled in 1996ish. It has a lot of rounds down it. I have not measured it recently, but this OAL is from a few years back when I started loading for it. I'm sure if I measured I could push the bullet out farther. Still shoots well. I don't put a lot of rounds thru the big cartridges so I don't have to worry about going thru barrels.
Haha, 6.55!! I member them days!

I don't see how you could be an accomplished long range hunter/ shooter by firing "a few" practice rounds before hunting season each year... sounds rather novice, to me...unless your not really shooting at long range, but normal hunting ranges, then your fine, with the barrel lasting a lifetime. You need lots of field shooting experience to be good, requiring lots of practice.. which requires barrels and components be used. Expensive...yes... example: back in the day a famous record setting benchrest shooter bought 8 to 10 barrel blanks at a time, to have his famous gunsmith chamber for the same BR cartridge, 6mm PPC...this "might" last one season of competition.. as he'd change barrels as soon as they quit meeting his high demands...some never made it into competition. Being the best or just being good at it, cost money...you really have to pay to play...if you're not going through barrels, you're not practicing enough, and probably not an accomplished LR shooter. Just a fact...take what the barrel gives ya...if accuracy falls below your standards in 5 or 6 hundred rds ...rebarrel...and keep shooting.
Whatever makes a person happy is what matters.
But last time i checked, there were still some pretty good 1000 yd shooters competing with 308s.
And since most long range kills are less than that distance, why not use them for practice rock shooting.

The last five three shot groups I fired at 300 yards:

11/16", 1 3/8", 15/16", 2 1/2", and 1" in that order.

I liked every shot as it broke. So, it sure appears it is a 1 MOA rifle. My longest shot on a deer is 300 yards and for an elk was 400. Therefore, it will be good for another season.:)
With the long lead time on some barrels, particularly if you're looking for faster twist rates, I'd suggest getting a barrel ordered now so you have it on hand when you need it.

With the long lead time on some barrels, particularly if you're looking for faster twist rates, I'd suggest getting a barrel ordered now so you have it on hand when you need it.
This ^^^^^^^.
I have been getting them as I find them, they are out there and on sale or clearance. I've been sending them out to have fluted. When it's toast and verify with bore scope and Measurements.
Just like reloading components as I find it if I use it I buy some. 🤔😏😲
I hate waiting. Reamers Sucks, waiting 5 months for a 277/308Ai. Still don't have it.

Whatever makes a person happy is what matters.
But last time i checked, there were still some pretty good 1000 yd shooters competing with 308s.
And since most long range kills are less than that distance, why not use them for practice rock shooting.
Making one happy, has nothing to do with being an accomplished LR shooter, or proficient at any endevor. It's lots of intense, dedicated, practice, hard work, and expense, are required to become proficient and accomplished, ...at most anything. If you are not practicing with the rifle and ammo you're going to use in competition or LR hunting, you are a novice, ...just having fun.
And 1000 yds is considered moderate range by many, 800 yds anyone can do, with practice... and stretching the range, and competition to 2 miles, on steel.
A 308 if properly set up for targets, steel, and varmints is good way past 1000 yds with modern components, and 20 yr old girls were shooting 308s at 1000 yds & winning in competition, 25 yrs ago, about the time Tubb was on top, & looking for something with less recoil.

Making one happy, has nothing to do with being an accomplished LR shooter, or proficient at any endevor. It's lots of intense, dedicated, practice, hard work, and expense, are required to become proficient and accomplished, ...at most anything. If you are not practicing with the rifle and ammo you're going to use in competition or LR hunting, you are a novice, ...just having fun.
And 1000 yds is considered moderate range by many, 800 yds anyone can do, with practice... and stretching the range, and competition to 2 miles, on steel.
A 308 if properly set up for targets, steel, and varmints is good way past 1000 yds with modern components, and 20 yr old girls were shooting 308s at 1000 yds & winning in competition, 25 yrs ago, about the time Tubb was on top, & looking for something with less recoil.
Well, as for me, and the many friends and family i have been fortunate enough to spend lots of time LR hunting with for the past 50 plus years, enjoyment is what its about, and without that many seasons will be a big disappointment.
As for serious, take a trip to most competitions and you will see much of that on display.
And get this, most of those serious guys never won anything, and many probably never will.
As for killing deer long range, if it were hard most people would never get one.
But you can choose to make it hard if thats your mindset.
A very large percentage of the LR deer killed at our camp over the years were killed by young kids.
And some by adults who never fired a long range shot before.
But then were not laying on the ground with a rock or a stick poking into our gut either.
Thats just for the macho set. lol
Long range hunting is no different than many other things in life, there are choices to be made, and the right ones is what separates the winners and losers.

And just like that we have another self proclaimed expert amongst us, Let's everyone give a big round of applause shall we,

Youre So Talented Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

A 308 if properly set up for targets, steel, and varmints is good way past 1000 yds with modern components, and 20 yr old girls were shooting 308s at 1000 yds & winning in competition, 25 yrs ago, about the time Tubb was on top, & looking for something with less recoil
This site deems 1000 yards ELR

After 530 rounds I measured the overall length again. The overall lingth has increased .220". Is that about right for this amount of shooting.

The cartridge is a 338 RUM neck down to 7 mm using 7 RUM brass to gain a .100" longer neck. The load is 87 grains of H4831 was was the hammer Hunter 131 and hammer hunter tipped 132 grain.
Rich if it's still shooting just Let Her Eat, when it stops worry about it then

I think I am in the minority here. The last barrel was a 6.5 on a six lug Weatherby Mark V ultralight. When it was wore out, I had Wayne @ oregunsmithig.llc (541) 278-4177 in Pendleton, Oregon rebore it to 8mm. It runs five shots between 11/16" and 15/16" at 100 yards with Hammer Hunter 198 grainers. Their velocity averages 3,054 feet per second.

I plan to rebore this 7mm to .338 Edge A.I. and use Hammer Hunter 213 grain bullets. Using ignorant prejudice, I think their velocity will be about 3,325-3,350 fps.