What should I expect to spend....

Extremehunter

I am looking to getting into long range shooting and I'm unable to spend a lot of money; however, I was looking to buy a decent savage rifle and good quality optics to start with, beyond that how much should I expect to be spending if I wanted to shoot in a couple of long range competition shoots each year?

I'm not entirely sure what equipment I will "need" to begin this quest.

If anyone could help me out with what equipment i would need beyond the gun and scope and a ballpark figure of what I should expect to spend, it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a lot of money but I would really like to have some fun in this sport.

I have never reloaded ammunition before and would also like to start doing that if it is economically feasible.

Thanks in advance to everyone who replies :)

I'll give my 2cents. Buy what you can afford. Are you going to be paper punching or hunting or both? Another thing to consider, no matter how much money you put into your rig, YOU might not be capable of shooting the distance you want. I would expect to spend $1000-1500 for a good set up. Savage makes many great rifles and would be a good start. Caliber wise hard to pass up the 308 even though there are other better choices, but you will get long barrel life ammo is available, cheap/easy to reload. Scope is where you don't want to cheap out on. I find my self doing that in the past and get very disapointed. But you could start out with a fixed 10X bushnell 3200 ebay had them for as cheap as $160 at times. Get a rifle, have it bedded, get a good scope, get some factory ammo and see what it can do, try and talk to people at your range, you might be able to get some local help with reloading. Good luck its addictive.

Extremehunter,
What is you overall budget? 1500- 2000? If it is towards 2000 that would get you, rifle, bases and optics, plus the basics and components to start reloading. If you look around for some used equipment that would help bring costs down.
As previous member stated get quality optics. There are some Mark 4's for sale in the classified for good prices. Cameraland has some good deals on Zeiss Conquest, many members here like them.
Scour the classifieds for presses,dies, scales, and components. Good deals out there.

There is no upper limit. You'll end up spending everything you've got. But, you will enjoy every minute.

On the other hand, you don't have to spend a fortune to have fun and reasonable success.

If this is for targets, buy a Savage 12F in 6br and try factory Lapua Ammo. Save your brass for when you start hand loading. You'll need a good scope. I bought a used Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x40 with target dot reticle for about $350 on ebay. Plus EGW 20MOA rail and Burris Extreme Tactical rings.

If you outgrow that rifle, you can rebarrel it yourself to just about anything all the way up to 338 Edge or Lapua Magnum and customize with a tactical stock, etc...

If you want to hunt, then there are a lot of things to think about. But, inaddition to the rifle, scope, bases, rings, you'll need good binoculars, range finder, bipod, backpack, clothing, etc.

There are some good DVDs and books available. But, the best value is this forum and the experts who are willing to share their experience.

Either way, you'll want to practice a lot which will cost you fuel, ammo, and range fees.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice everyone, i'm definitely going to be looking at the savage model 12 long range precision in the .260. Only because i would also like to use it for varmint hunting.

rscott - you're right, it looks like I will be spending everything i have, no regrets though :). Do you think the 6br is better than the .260?

357fan - Thanks for the advice on the classifieds, I always look at the new stuff floating around and keep telling myself i can't afford any of it, but some of the used stuff just might be in my price range.

midwesthunter - have you personally used the 10x 3200 bushnell scope? I have always loved the bushnell scopes and i have a 3200 elite 3-9x on my 7mm wsm hunting rifle.

Let me ask everyone this, could i just use my 7mm wsm? It's expensive to shoot but it is pretty accurate. It's a browning synthetic stock, 20inch barrel. Or should I go with the Savage long range precision? I know I keep asking too many questions :). Of course going with the savage would give me an excuse to buy another weapon.

I expect the 260 is a better hunting round than 6BR.

7 WSM should be an excellent long range hunting round. If you shoot MOA or better, you can be very successful.

Not knowing your objective, I suggested 6br as a target round because the Lapua ammo is reputed to be very accurate and you indicated you weren't handloading as yet.

--richard

Richard,

Thanks. Sorry I didn't clarify what I was wanting in a rifle. Do you have any suggestions for good match grade ammo for the .260 or 7mm wsm?

Brett

LR competitions vary widely and with the type and caliber of gun for each.

600 yard BR- 6 dasher, 6BRX, or 6 BR are the calibers

1k BR you can use the Dasher, but mainly 6, 6.5 and 30 calibers and some 7mm.

F class Open- 7mm (280 AI or similar) and 6.5-284

F Class FTR is limited to 308 and 223 only.

Tactical matches- 308, 6.5x47 or 260 are go to rounds mainly. scope will need mil dots

As for costs you can buy a decent savage Palma (308) , BR (6mm BR) or F class (6.5-284) for right at $1000 and used for around $750 or so.

You will want a variable power scope that goes to 20X at least. Used can be found for $500 or so. (used Millet 6-25x, 6-20x Leupold, 6-26 Sightron etc )10x will not cut it in any of the LR matches. You will need a 20 MOA base or better yet a double dovetail base with burris signature rings with the 20 MOA inserts. Best option for the money.

Reloading is a must. $300-500 for press, scales, dies, calipers and other misc. Too expensive to shoot and not reload!

Now here comes the big expense- travel and match fees. Depending on what is available is not uncommon to drive 300 miles or more to a 2 day match with fees in the $80-100 range, not counting gas, meals and hotel. Many take a tent and sleep at the site. Your costs will vary depending on what is local.

I would look at what matches are local (driving distance) and see first before making a decision to buy.

depending on which comp, you would have front and rear rests, bipods and other misc equipment.

IMO the best learning tool is F class FTR with a 308 shooting the 185 Berger or one of the 175s. relatively inexpensive compared to other comps and most shooting in the wind. Plus put the 125 Btip for varmints.

BH

Richard,

Thanks. Sorry I didn't clarify what I was wanting in a rifle. Do you have any suggestions for good match grade ammo for the .260 or 7mm wsm?
Brett,
Sorry... I don't shoot either of those calibers and am not aware of any particular ammo for them that's best suited for any particular purpose.

There's bound to be something pretty good for both of them. You'll eventually want handloads.

Last edited:
BH,

Thanks for all the information, just what I was looking for; I think i'll be looking at the F class FTR.

I guess no matter what way I look at it I'm spending a ton of money :). Now I just have to convince my wife it's a good idea, don't know if I'm that good of a salesman.

I live in Bradford, Pa, which is located 90 mile directly south of Buffalo, NY, so it puts us about 2 miles from the New York border. Is there anything close to this area for F class FTR shoots?

again thanks for the information.

Brett

Now I just have to convince my wife it's a good idea, don't know if I'm that good of a salesman.
Brett -

You need to man up.

Get a good gun safe. Buy the guns and lock 'em up before she finds out the money's spent. And, never tell her what they really cost.

...and, never let her see them all together at the same time or she'll start asking stupid questions like, "why do you need so many?"

Best of luck!
Richard

Brett -

You need to man up.

Get a good gun safe. Buy the guns and lock 'em up before she finds out the money's spent. And, never tell her what they really cost.

...and, never let her see them all together at the same time or she'll start asking stupid questions like, "why do you need so many?"

Best of luck!
Richard

Sounds like a plan to me! :) I'll just tell her I keep winning them in gun raffles :)

BH,

I live in Bradford, Pa,

Hi Brett,
I live in Howard, PA. I am a huge Savage fan and think you are headed in the right direction. Best loads per factory loading will be Cor-Bon, Black Hills, and HSM.

HSM Trophy Gold Ammunition 260130VLD, 260 Remington, Berger Hunting VLD, 130 GR, 20 Rd/bx

Looks like the 260 will give the best option for loaded accurate ammo, but your paying for it. You may as well put forth the money you would spend on loaded ammo and get reloading equipment. You will be able to see the potential of your rifles much better that way.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.