What should I expect from a .243.

I've got a tikka T3 lite .243. Granted, its never shot factory loads but none of the handloads I ever shot yielded even close to a 3" group. Around 1" or better was the norm.

Unless you have an aftermarket base mounted, the base on a tikka is integrated, so make sure the scope rings are mounted right and tight as milleroutdoors mentioned. You probably have aftermarket rings for that 30mm scope tube; check the box for torque settings. The other things milleroutdoors mentioned are worth checking too, especially the barrel channel freefloat and the crown. I've got my tikka triggers about 2.5Lbs, they were more like 3.5 from the factory.

Otherwise, call Tikka because they have an accuracy guarantee and most of the ammo you mentioned is not cheapo crap so they should support you.

One other thing, which I highly doubt is the issue. You might try swapping scopes with a known reliable scope or swap your nightforce onto another gun with known reliable accuracy, just to make sure the scope isn't a problem. Again, I highly doubt it with nightforce, but it would be an easy thing to check, at no cost to you....

Have you done a proper barrel break in? This is a process that allows a shooter to clean the barrel removing all copper fouling. By doing this process helps to remove all the rough edges and smooth machining marks that could cause major barrel fouling and poor accuracy. Also really look into a trigger adjustment.

Another option is dry firing to see if you are flinching when pulling the trigger. Sit on the bench and squeeze the trigger trying to hold on the the target. IF during the squeeze you see a ton of movement, then try and make a more stable platform to shoot from, or doing some breathing exercise's to slow or remove any movement. If you flinch when dry firing you will know it. Just remember to squeeze (exhale), and when you fully exhale you have about 2 to 3 seconds to squeeze the round off.

Tank

Have you done a proper barrel break in? This is a process that allows a shooter to clean the barrel removing all copper fouling. By doing this process helps to remove all the rough edges and smooth machining marks that could cause major barrel fouling and poor accuracy. Also really look into a trigger adjustment.

Another option is dry firing to see if you are flinching when pulling the trigger. Sit on the bench and squeeze the trigger trying to hold on the the target. IF during the squeeze you see a ton of movement, then try and make a more stable platform to shoot from, or doing some breathing exercise's to slow or remove any movement. If you flinch when dry firing you will know it. Just remember to squeeze (exhale), and when you fully exhale you have about 2 to 3 seconds to squeeze the round off.

Tank

I have done the barrel break in with the following routine;

shoot 1 clean with solvent
shoot 3 clean with solvent

I am able to hit rabbits at 260yds with the rifle as it is and group norma ammo with 75 grain hornady balistic tips within 1".

It just seems to be very ammo fussy, I will try all the things you suggest all the same.

I am going to get some RCBS reloading gear and really try and tighten the groups up as well.

I am new to centerfire and to hit rabbits at 260yds for me after air rifles and rimfire rifles is just amazing. I know it is very small potatos to you guys, but its a start.

Out of curiosity, how accurate are the drop charts on factory ammo boxes???

Out of curiosity, how accurate are the drop charts on factory ammo boxes???

Not very unless your rifle is the same or very similar to the specs of the test rifle. You would have to shoot across a chrony and get the speed to verify the velocity. Then look online for the maker of the bullet that is loaded in your ammo. They company should have a BC listing to put into your drops. Knowing your deviation will also help. If you start reloading you should see some serious gains in accuracy. 260 is no picnic. I remember plugging a squirrel at 200yrds once. That was interesting needless to say. It was my smallest hit target at that kind of distance to date. Good job on the bunny though. Them boogers are small at any distance. I would be interested in hearing about your air gunning exploits. A couple years ago before I started shooting centerfire a lot again I was doing a lot of research on air rifles. There is some interesting stuff out there.

Tank

ROBOB- i have loaded a lot .243 ammo for various guns. if you get reloading try either 37.5 of I-4064 or 38.0 of varget and an 85 sierra bthp. those have consistently shot very good out of all.

ROBOB- i have loaded a lot .243 ammo for various guns. if you get reloading try either 37.5 of I-4064 or 38.0 of varget and an 85 sierra bthp. those have consistently shot very good out of all.

That's interesting. I load 37.5grns of 4064 with a 95grn Hornady SST in my Model 7 Remmy. Shoots lights out. Decided to play around the one day and low behold found that same exact load works very well.

Tank

I am considering purchasing a PDA and X-bal for my Nightforce scope to improve my long range accuracy, but I am not sure it would be money well spent as I only have a .243 rifle and with a 1 in 10 barrel its only able to stabilize bullets up to 75grains.

I have tried 100 grain bullets and they are all over the place.

I am currently only able to shoot at ranges up to about 500yds on my local farm anyway so would it be a waste of money?

Would I be better off just sticking to drop charts for windage and elevation compensation?

What do you think?
I own a Win. Post 64 Bull barrel 243 that I love dearly. The gun needs blueing and the stock could use some attn. But when I get ready to rid our farm of groundhogs up to dog size critters I always pick it up first. My go too loads for this gun is Varget powder at 42gr for 70gr. Sierra B.King or 75gr Hornady V-Max @ 41gr. Both these loads are a tiny bit over Max so please start below & work up. But both loads shoot great in my rifle (5-shots @ 100yds all together .325 the best so far) I hope this helps. Good Luck.

If my memory serves me right, I am 73 and have shot a 243 in my younger years quite a bit. I have a 10 twist Remington 700 243 that shoots 100 grain lead very good. Longest shot at a deer 450-500 yards went 20 yards and folded. If the 100 grain you tried was terrible. There are many different bullets to try 85,90 95, and various manufacturers of 100 garain bullets. You might want to trade the 100 grainers you tried and didn't like for a variety of 6MM bullets that I spoke of. If you like let me know how mant of the 100 grain bullets you have and I will send you the amount of various bullets I spoke of. Use the PM option to contact me. I have tried several different bullets till I found what a particular rifle liked. Lou

If my memory serves me right, I am 73 and have shot a 243 in my younger years quite a bit. I have a 10 twist Remington 700 243 that shoots 100 grain lead very good. Longest shot at a deer 450-500 yards went 20 yards and folded. If the 100 grain you tried was terrible. There are many different bullets to try 85,90 95, and various manufacturers of 100 garain bullets. You might want to trade the 100 grainers you tried and didn't like for a variety of 6MM bullets that I spoke of. If you like let me know how mant of the 100 grain bullets you have and I will send you the amount of various bullets I spoke of. Use the PM option to contact me. I have tried several different bullets till I found what a particular rifle liked. Lou

Thank you for your very kind offer.

I have sent you a P.M

You got to love a 243.
gun)
shooting338016.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.