The Ultimate Hunting Rifle Action!

It's not just that one, there are a few others that can run into issues as well particularly on the long actions. Most of them are newer designs which are much shorter than the older scopes. If you have a long scope with plenty of tube then I'm sure it would work fine but I'm not a huge fan of limiting my scope options due to a fixed scope mount.

Learn to solve the problem.

Longer scope or don't buy the fixed rail. Simple. Castigating a particular method of manufacturing because you don't like it limits the rest of the world. The vast majority are just fine with the integral rail or they move on to the actions without it.

:)

Learn to solve the problem.

Longer scope or don't buy the fixed rail. Simple. Castigating a particular method of manufacturing because you don't like it limits the rest of the world. The vast majority are just fine with the integral rail or they move on to the actions without it.

:)
I simply said it isn't my preference, not that it was wrong. I have rifles with the split base Leupold rings, old Redfield mounts, weaver bases and full length picatinny rails. They all work fine.

If given the preference I will take the full length picatinny for the versatility, that's the reason I own the CDG with the full length rail instead of the lightweight version with the split base because it wouldn't work with the scope I wanted to use on that particular rifle build.

Also the same reason I'm switching to picatinny on my Dad's 7600, the standard Leupold mounts don't let me get the scope back far enough to work with his scope and the aftermarket stock.

I simply said it isn't my preference, not that it was wrong. I have rifles with the split base Leupold rings, old Redfield mounts, weaver bases and full length picatinny rails. They all work fine.

If given the preference I will take the full length picatinny for the versatility, that's the reason I own the CDG with the full length rail instead of the lightweight version with the split base because it wouldn't work with the scope I wanted to use on that particular rifle build.

Also the same reason I'm switching to picatinny on my Dad's 7600, the standard Leupold mounts don't let me get the scope back far enough to work with his scope and the aftermarket stock.
This is long range hunting. There are lots of "other" weapons and sights for all things other than long range that I think your alluding to.

For long range, extreme accuracy, likely higher power everything, an integral base will eliminate possible issues that normal shooting setups are going to notice or care about.

This is long range hunting. There are lots of "other" weapons and sights for all things other than long range that I think your alluding to.

For long range, extreme accuracy, likely higher power everything, an integral base will eliminate possible issues that normal shooting setups are going to notice or care about.
My only beef is that the integral bases are so high. I wish they would lower them... there's plenty of space to do so.

On non integral actions you can mount the scope 0.25 inches lower which really helps get lined up with the scope

My only beef is that the integral bases are so high. I wish they would lower them... there's plenty of space to do so.

On non integral actions you can mount the scope 0.25 inches lower which really helps get lined up with the scope
Well you can add a cheek piece to fit your personal height exactly. Kinda hard to lower the stock. But then there are low medium and high scope rings too. Lots of options

I guess I think of the bighorn and figured it is the perfect action for the modern rifleman. It seems to blend most of the good attributes and few of the bad into a configurable prefit action.
I agree. The fact that you can field strip the bolt and change boltfaces reliably and easily is a great feature
For all around use, they are extremely hard to beat

What's everyone's thoughts and interest in what was once a thing! Thats imo the 704 action designed by Ed Brown and later bought and produced under the name Legendary Arms Works which unfortunately was short lived. The action utilizes a M1 Garand style extractor and a fixed ejector and a one piece bolt. A three position safety was available as well as Remington style drop in triggers, I believe if we had a current manufacture that would take the time to fix a few minor issues with the 704 we as hunters and rifle builders would again have the ultimate rifle action again, but designed with an Integral Recoil Lug and Repeatable headspace, 3 position safety and positive and timed firing control system. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this action. I know only a very guys have actually used one. And I have and absolutely love the design. And a bonus would be if we had an option of titanium!
Mine works very well

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 29

It's not so much the integral bases, just the split ones that only leave so much room for scope adjustments and if they are integral to the action you have no way to change them.

Just look at the below, I doubt I would be able to use any of those scopes on a long action with split bases and I know looking at my other rifles that have split bases I have them pulled back to the limits of the objective bell to get proper eye relief.

IMG_9179.png

It's not so much the integral bases, just the split ones that only leave so much room for scope adjustments and if they are integral to the action you have no way to change them.

Just look at the below, I doubt I would be able to use any of those scopes on a long action with split bases and I know looking at my other rifles that have split bases I have them pulled back to the limits of the objective bell to get proper eye relief.

View attachment 568369
Are those long range rigs? They don't really look like it to me?? I've never seen such short scopes other than on pistols. Looks like LOP is too long and your trying to compensate by moving scope rearward

Are those long range rigs? They don't really look like it to me?? I've never seen such short scopes other than on pistols. Looks like LOP is too long and your trying to compensate by moving scope rearward
They are, from top to bottom
IMG_8164.jpeg

24" 6.5 PRC - Revic 4.5-28
20" 7 PRC - NX8 2.5-20
20" 30-06 - Gen 3 1-10
18" 6.5 PRC - NX8 2.5-20

All 4 rifles are set up to shoot out to 700+ yards to cover as far as I could shoot here in PA.

Exactly. Incorrect LOP.
They are all 13-5/8" which is standard for the majority of rifles, Manners won't make the Pro Hunter with a shorter LOP. I'm 5' 10" and if I move it any farther forward I would not be able to shoot offhand with my winter coat on.

Do you guys not set your rifles up for offhand shots while hunting?

I agree. The fact that you can field strip the bolt and change boltfaces reliably and easily is a great feature
For all around use, they are extremely hard to beat
Yepper. I have 3 bolt heads and 2 chassis. I can put together just about any configuration I need in a few minutes. It's feature rich, machined well, and in the end, its everything I need and want.

View attachment 568455
20" 7 PRC - NX8 2.5-20
20" 30-06 - Gen 3 1-10
18" 6.5 PRC - NX8 2.5-20

All 4 rifles are set up to shoot out to 700+ yards to cover as far as I could shoot here in PA.

They are all 13-5/8" which is standard for the majority of rifles, Manners won't make the Pro Hunter with a shorter LOP. I'm 5' 10" and if I move it any farther forward I would not be able to shoot offhand with my winter coat on.

Nice guns and there is no wrong. You confirmed what I guessed though. While your stocks are standard, you are not haha. Technically you should have a shorter lop. In doing so, your scope would be mounted further forward, like normal.
Yes my rigs are set up to shoot in the winter. I'm not normal either as I have a longer neck, so my scopes are closer to bumping into the eye piece than the bell.

View attachment 568455
20" 7 PRC - NX8 2.5-20
20" 30-06 - Gen 3 1-10
18" 6.5 PRC - NX8 2.5-20

Yep