Discussion in 'Technical Articles - Discussion' started by ADMIN, Jul 19, 2011.

The One Mile Prairie Dog

1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

This is a thread for discussion of the article, The One Mile Prairie Dog, By Mike Brust. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

2. theflyonthewall

theflyonthewall Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it. I thought it was well written and the author was totally unbiased as to the outcome. It was a good read. Thank you.

3. sll

sll Well-Known Member

Agree on good article and unbiased printing of results. Mindblowing that a crosswind can push a bullet impact 30 feet at that distance.

4. gruising

gruising Member

Good job Mike! Did my first long range hunting for dogs in South Dakota too. My longest shot was just over 700 yards but I was happy as could be. I know you had a blast and the story was great. Thanks for taking the time to write for all of us. Gary Ruisinger

5. jerrschmitt

jerrschmitt Well-Known Member

A great read. I'm still trying for my 1000 yard prairie dog and have gone through much of the same preparations as you with the GPS and Google earth. One tip I might offer is the use of the Wild optical range finder. Quite easy to range at one mile and they don't break the bank.

6. Oklahoman

Oklahoman Member

Wow, I really enjoyed the article. I hope to get everything together to make a hunt like that. How does someone find the locations to go on such a hunt:rolleyes:

7. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoyed the article and learned a lot, particularly about using geographic information to select a good shooting location. Having thought a lot about trying to achieve the same goal I was surprised that while I can certainly understand time and financial limitations cited, that more emphasis wasn't placed on accuracy information. I know that wind, pressure, etc. need to be accurately calculated, shooting precision also has to be critical at a mile. A quarter minute of angle variation at a mile (4.4"), is about the width of a prarie dog. I am curious what the actual group data of rig was.