The One Mile Prairie Dog

ADMIN

Administrator
I also have learned that many people have absolutely no concept of how far 1,000 yards actually is. A friend, after seeing my prominently displayed V.H.A. 1000 Yard Club certificate, said he was just amazed that I could hit such a small target at "farther than the length of a football field." At that point I realized I needed to make another shot, and in a scale that everyone understands: miles. Actually, it probably just provided a good excuse to take the next step. So my quest for the "one-mile prairie dog" began.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, The One Mile Prairie Dog, By Mike Brust. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Agree on good article and unbiased printing of results. Mindblowing that a crosswind can push a bullet impact 30 feet at that distance.

Good job Mike! Did my first long range hunting for dogs in South Dakota too. My longest shot was just over 700 yards but I was happy as could be. I know you had a blast and the story was great. Thanks for taking the time to write for all of us. Gary Ruisinger

A great read. I'm still trying for my 1000 yard prairie dog and have gone through much of the same preparations as you with the GPS and Google earth. One tip I might offer is the use of the Wild optical range finder. Quite easy to range at one mile and they don't break the bank.

Wow, I really enjoyed the article. I hope to get everything together to make a hunt like that. How does someone find the locations to go on such a hunt:rolleyes:

I thoroughly enjoyed the article and learned a lot, particularly about using geographic information to select a good shooting location. Having thought a lot about trying to achieve the same goal I was surprised that while I can certainly understand time and financial limitations cited, that more emphasis wasn't placed on accuracy information. I know that wind, pressure, etc. need to be accurately calculated, shooting precision also has to be critical at a mile. A quarter minute of angle variation at a mile (4.4"), is about the width of a prarie dog. I am curious what the actual group data of rig was.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.