The Frustration Continues!!

I haven't followed your load workup, but the biggest error most new reloaders make is to try too many variables and not do a methodical job. ...often jumping to conclusions because they had one tiny 3 shot group.

It almost sounds to me like you need to scrap everything and start over with Dan's OCW method.

I see no reason why h4831sc won't work. But, pick some known good set of components (e.g. 142 smk, lapua brass, h4831sc, cci br2 --or-- 140 berger, norma brass, h4350, fed 210m) and stick with the method.

I also might add that I rarely find best accuracy with max loads. It almost sounds like you've pre-suppossed a velocity and are trying to get accuracy at your max load.

The 140/142's are still very lethal at long range with an MV in the 2800's. If that's not ample, then you may want to consider a 7mm cartridge.

You seem confident in your shooting ability, so I would assume that technique, paralax, scope, mounts, rest, etc... are not at issue here. But, that's not always the case.

After 200+ rounds, do you have a specific load that you can say is consistently sub-MOA to 300+ yds?

-- richard

When I first started my original goal was 1000 foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards. Given all the different variables that put me at a velocity around 2950 fps.

My goal from a factory rifle was .5 MOA. I feel that is achievable.

When I first started my original goal was 1000 foot pounds of energy at 1000 yards. Given all the different variables that put me at a velocity around 2950 fps.

My goal from a factory rifle was .5 MOA. I feel that is achievable.
Keep your 1/2 moa goal and pitch the other to the wind. You chose a sub 3000 foot pound at muzzle rifle, so unless it loves a really high bc bullet and your stars align speed wise it won't get there. Heck, I'm not sure my 7stw will be there and that's a lot more gun than your 6.5x284. The best lr load (171 barnes)may need some tweaking in that rifle, the 140 nos ab and sierra 140 shoot well though, but their bc is low for 1Kfb at 1K yd.

Keep your 1/2 moa goal and pitch the other to the wind. You chose a sub 3000 foot pound at muzzle rifle, so unless it loves a really high bc bullet and your stars align speed wise it won't get there. Heck, I'm not sure my 7stw will be there and that's a lot more gun than your 6.5x284. The best lr load (171 barnes)may need some tweaking in that rifle, the 140 nos ab and sierra 140 shoot well though, but their bc is low for 1Kfb at 1K yd.

My sentiments exactly lest the frustration linger on.

I'd readily give up 200 ft-lbs at 1k just to settle on a load and have more practice time and build more confidence in one specific load which will quickly translate to better hunting success.

-- richard

I really appreciate all the tips. I'm going to start over using Dan's OCW method. I'll stick with the H4831SC and 140 AMAX since that's what I have.

My Hornady manual shows max load with those ingredients is 45.9g. Can someone with a different manual share their published max load please?

Thanks again.

I really appreciate all the tips. I'm going to start over using Dan's OCW method. I'll stick with the H4831SC and 140 AMAX since that's what I have.

My Hornady manual shows max load with those ingredients is 45.9g. Can someone with a different manual share their published max load please?

Thanks again.
check out hodgdon online for their 140 and 142 charge weights. They are always a good source for data. Check all of your equipment and make sure you have a uniform muzzle crown also. Some little things make a very big difference.

If it's any consolation, I rarely get the high velocities often reported by Internet users.

In the end, the only thing that matters is what's safe and accurate in your rifle.

There are always bigger cartridges when needed.

Keep us posted.

-- richard

If it's any consolation, I rarely get the high velocities often reported by Internet users.

In the end, the only thing that matters is what's safe and accurate in your rifle.

Keep us posted.

-- richard
+1 rscott

A pound of salt is in order for many charge weights and velocities posted online. I try to keep mine accurate and raise the bs flag if I see something blatantly full of "stuff", but many are patting their own backs for some reason. The wsm shooters and mid-mag shooters are particularly bad on this. Get a big enough stick and you don't have to beat it to get enough speed.

Keep us posted.

-- richard

Will do. I'm hoping to test this weekend.

BML what model savage 111lrh, 110 max1? If so, with a 24" barrel something about 51grns of 4831, norma brass, 140 amax running at 3074fps doesn't sound kosher. I have tried that combo only jumping the amax .055" (3.134" oal) got ejector wipes at 54.5grns with a 26.5" barrel and never broke 2950fps. I'm running 3070 avg now with Retumbo. Don't follow any listed data on the 6.5x284 unless it specifically says norma behind it, hodgdons is a good example, they show a max oal of 2.970", I bet if you backed your amaxes .010" out your oal would still be 3.150"+, that .180" leaves a lot of extra space. I have seen rifles that had to be tuned down to shoot and the same amout that liked running wide open.

It's the 111LRH. 26 inch barrel. Highest of the 10 was 3084 and lowest was 3062

+1 rscott

A pound of salt is in order for many charge weights and velocities posted online. I try to keep mine accurate and raise the bs flag if I see something blatantly full of "stuff", but many are patting their own backs for some reason. . Get a big enough stick and you don't have to beat it to get enough speed.

+1..

BML the 2" brake isnt part of the barrel. What chronograph are you using, something isn' t right, what is your OAL?

I never actually measured it but assumed it was 26" + the 2" break. I'm using my buddy's F1 Chrony. I don't have the OAL off the top of my head so I'd have to check my notes at home. I do know that I am 2.530 to the lands.

Try setting the amaxs about .060" off the lands with a oal around 3.125" with 56grns H1000 or 58grns Retumbo with fed215m or cci 250 primers as a start. Also make sure its not copper or carbon fouled.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.