Frustrating Fliers

I don't mean to be a jack-*** here, but why in the world are you resting the barrel on the bags!? If you have access to a bore-sighter, you will find out what I mean. Put the bore-sighter in, and look thru the scope with the rifle in some sort of holder. Now put your finger on the top of the barrel and lightly push down. Watch what happens to the crosshairs on the grid. You will be amazed how much they move. That is probably what is going on. With the barrel on the bags, and your hand on the barrel, you are introducing all sorts of different pressure on the barrel. Everything needs to be the same every shot to get a good idea of what the load will do. Lay the forend on the bags the same way every time, hold the grip the same every time, use your off hand, with your elbow bent, on the front of the rear bag to squeeze lightly, and keep everything as still as possible. See if the flyers are lessened. I am willing to bet that that will cure most of the problem. The first time I looked at the bore-sighter set-up, I was amazed!

Yeah, the only answer I have for you is that I didn't know. But now I do. I made the adjustment and shot .5 MOA.

Yeah, and it was a free fix. Thanks everybody for your help. The only thing I am still a little concerned about (because it will make a big difference long range) is my velocity range. With 10 shots some were fairly close in velocity, but many were not. Between my highest and lowest I had a 45 f/s swing. Don't know what's going on there.

you are correct there..at 1000yards you could be looking at 8 inches of difference there..well, with my 243 thats what i would be seeing, not sure with the 7mm, but it would tell for sure...double check every thing you are doing at the reloading bench..are you weighing and sorting bullets and brass?...i bought a box of sierra match kings once and measure up to a 7 grain difference in bullet weights..i was less than pleased...if you wanna be real paranoid, measure each cases capacity, and sort accordingly...the secret to accuracy, regardless what you are shooting, or throwing rocks for that matter, is making sure everything is the same ever time...if you have the funds, buy match quality brass....check your powder loads, make sure each is exactly the same...it helps to have a good scale and dispenser with this one...also, barrel heat makes a difference, you cant expect to fire ten shot strings and not expect your groups to open up....post some pics of you targets if you can, this will help us diagnose what might be happening as well...

Will so. I'm expecting to get to the range early next week. Please walk me through the process of attaching a pic to a thread. I'm not seeing the application here.

i post my pics on photbucket and just post the link and it shows the picture..im not sure if the forum has upload funtionality....can anybody else sound in on this?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.