testing how far bullet is off the lands?

dider, Be it right or wrong this is how I have been doing it.

1). make a dummy round either by using a fire formed case inserting the bullet of your choice and LIGHTLY mashing the neck so that the bullet will slide but not fall into the case, OR, You can use a full lenght sized case and make a cut on one side of the neck with a hack saw, This will alow the bullet will slide with some pressure.

2). Push the bullet into the neck enough that the neck will hold the bullet ( 1/2 the bullet diameter works for me ) color the exposed portion of the bullet with a permanent marker.

3) Slowly chamber the dummy round , the bullet will come into contact with the lands and slide back into the neck . Eject the case, if the bullet sticks in the lands you can pop it out with a cleaning rod. The case will scratch off some of the permanent marker . This is how far the bullet moved into the neck re-insert the bullet back into the neck of the case until the scratches are even with the end of the neck. I use a bullet comparator to measure the length. I do this a few times to verify a good measurement .

4) Now use the bullet comparator to measure your loaded rounds . Subtract this measurement from the measurement taken in step #3 . The difference is the distance from the ogive to the lands.

Hope this helped ,

Mike

With each bullet weight/style I intend to use,I insert the bullet into the chamber,using a pen or dowell,hold it in place,then I lower my cleaning rod down onto the bullet tip,carefully,then I mark that point flush with the muzzle on the rod.
Then I remove the pen/dowell and bullet,re-install the bolt,close it,then I replace the cleaning rod in the rifle and lower it until it touches the bolt face,then mark that point on the rod flush with the muzzle.
I then measure these 2 points that I have marked,and it gives me the measurment (COL) of the ORIGIN of the rifling for that bullet profile.I can then subtract the desired amount of bullet gap that I wish,or how far into the lands that I desire.
I don't buy into the need for fancy equipment,this has always worked for me,before this I used the 'smoke it and see' method,it takes way too long!
MagnumManiac
gun)

I use a cleaning rod also(with stops).
I have a short rod for pistol cleaning that I push the bullet against the lands with.

With each bullet weight/style I intend to use,I insert the bullet into the chamber,using a pen or dowell,hold it in place,then I lower my cleaning rod down onto the bullet tip,carefully,then I mark that point flush with the muzzle on the rod.
Then I remove the pen/dowell and bullet,re-install the bolt,close it,then I replace the cleaning rod in the rifle and lower it until it touches the bolt face,then mark that point on the rod flush with the muzzle.
I then measure these 2 points that I have marked,and it gives me the measurment (COL) of the ORIGIN of the rifling for that bullet profile.I can then subtract the desired amount of bullet gap that I wish,or how far into the lands that I desire.
I don't buy into the need for fancy equipment,this has always worked for me,before this I used the 'smoke it and see' method,it takes way too long!
MagnumManiac
gun)
thanks!!!!!!, that worked great!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.