testing how far bullet is off the lands?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by diderr, Mar 26, 2008.

1. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

how do i easily test how far my bullet is off the lands.
    thanks,

2. mkg

mkg Well-Known Member

dider, Be it right or wrong this is how I have been doing it.

1). make a dummy round either by using a fire formed case inserting the bullet of your choice and LIGHTLY mashing the neck so that the bullet will slide but not fall into the case, OR, You can use a full lenght sized case and make a cut on one side of the neck with a hack saw, This will alow the bullet will slide with some pressure.

2). Push the bullet into the neck enough that the neck will hold the bullet ( 1/2 the bullet diameter works for me ) color the exposed portion of the bullet with a permanent marker.

3) Slowly chamber the dummy round , the bullet will come into contact with the lands and slide back into the neck . Eject the case, if the bullet sticks in the lands you can pop it out with a cleaning rod. The case will scratch off some of the permanent marker . This is how far the bullet moved into the neck re-insert the bullet back into the neck of the case until the scratches are even with the end of the neck. I use a bullet comparator to measure the length. I do this a few times to verify a good measurement .

4) Now use the bullet comparator to measure your loaded rounds . Subtract this measurement from the measurement taken in step #3 . The difference is the distance from the ogive to the lands.

Hope this helped ,

Mike

3. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

4. Niles Coyote

Niles Coyote Well-Known Member

+1 thats what I use. Its quick and easy.

5. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

With each bullet weight/style I intend to use,I insert the bullet into the chamber,using a pen or dowell,hold it in place,then I lower my cleaning rod down onto the bullet tip,carefully,then I mark that point flush with the muzzle on the rod.
    Then I remove the pen/dowell and bullet,re-install the bolt,close it,then I replace the cleaning rod in the rifle and lower it until it touches the bolt face,then mark that point on the rod flush with the muzzle.
    I then measure these 2 points that I have marked,and it gives me the measurment (COL) of the ORIGIN of the rifling for that bullet profile.I can then subtract the desired amount of bullet gap that I wish,or how far into the lands that I desire.
    I don't buy into the need for fancy equipment,this has always worked for me,before this I used the 'smoke it and see' method,it takes way too long!
    MagnumManiac
    gun)

6. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

I use a cleaning rod also(with stops).
    I have a short rod for pistol cleaning that I push the bullet against the lands with.

7. diderr

diderr Well-Known Member

thanks!!!!!!, that worked great!

8. Aussie

Aussie Well-Known Member

A link below where a variety of methods are discussed .
    Login

9. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

Glad I could help!
    MagnumManiac
    gun)