Tell me something..

Alex Wheeler

Quite often I will get called about a hunting rifle build, especially a long range build and the request is made for a DBM. I get it for a tactical rifle, I even get it for a coyote rifle or just a fun gun. But on a long range hunting rifle like a 28 Nosler, where you will have time to set up, and most likely not take more than one or two shots, why??? Why do we want a 5 or 10 round mags in our rifles for this task? I would hate to see the throat on a 28 Nosler than had 10 rounds ran over it fast often anyhow. Not to mention the extra weight and noise of a dbm. What am I missing?

I have wondered that as well? I think part of the reason is sometimes the DBMs are better feeding, at least with my 40 degree stuff. Other times I think it may be the same reason people raise a truck to 3 feet of ground clearance to run up and down the freeway!:cool:

Never got the lifted 4x4 either but had to have one just to see what was so cool. One was enough to learn I didn't need to be that cool and that was 25 years ago. As for DBM I can go either way but for a straight up hunting rig I like floor plate. Also like the Browning detachable mag with floor plate. I have a couple and find it handy to carry an extra mag.

I see so many rifles today with DBMs, but guess I'm old school because I can see no advantage to them in a hunting rifle. A couple of years ago, I found a magazine lying along a trail in Montana and I often wondered if the hunter had a spare with him.

Quite often I will get called about a hunting rifle build, especially a long range build and the request is made for a DBM. I get it for a tactical rifle, I even get it for a coyote rifle or just a fun gun. But on a long range hunting rifle like a 28 Nosler, where you will have time to set up, and most likely not take more than one or two shots, why??? Why do we want a 5 or 10 round mags in our rifles for this task? I would hate to see the throat on a 28 Nosler than had 10 rounds ran over it fast often anyhow. Not to mention the extra weight and noise of a dbm. What am I missing?
I've asked myself the same question for years, and I still can't see where a hunting rifle needs more than 3-4 rounds. I use standard BDL floorplates and internal mag assemblies on my bolt-actions.

I like the idea of being able to throw a mag in real quick. Majority of my hunting rifles are BDL. Actually majority of my rifles are BDL. But I do like the idea of being able to drop a mag and throw one in when say hunting a rifle, or between game reserves and such (have to deal with both a lot while moose and bear hunting my area).

Reliable feeding, and hunting and target shooting with kids. Not all gunsmiths are created equal when it comes to getting long rounds with long high bc Bullets to feed flawlessly. When taking kids out shooting it's easier to look and see there is no magazine and the bolts back when changing positions or changing shooters.

Reliable feeding, and hunting and target shooting with kids. Not all gunsmiths are created equal when it comes to getting long rounds with long high bc Bullets to feed flawlessly. When taking kids out shooting it's easier to look and see there is no magazine and the bolts back when changing positions or changing shooters.
Thats part of what I mean. My 28 nosler puts a loaded round at 3.765". Most DBM will not take a case that long. Wyatts center feed internal box feeds like a DBM and its long. I can see the convenience of popping it out and putting in a pocket I guess.

I favor a floor plate or blind mag over a dbm in a bolt hunting rifle. Most mags don't offer enough length. I can easily have Kevin Cram put a Wyatt box in my rifle. I just elected to go with the ELR vs the BA tactical Christensen arms rifle for this reason. Although my HS Precision does have a dbm but the length seems to be RUM length for my 300 Winnie. The HS sits flush as well so I forget it's there.

I like them both. Accurate mags go up to 3.750 I believe. I use 10 round mags in my creedmoor for shooting boulders and steel. 5 rounders for deer hunting. I wasn't getting reliable feeding in my 700 and the dbm system fixed that for me.

It's all about the looks, big 4x4s, camo gun, detachable mags, carbon barrels and hot chicks.

I can't help it I got them all!!

I've never used a Drop Box Magazine in a hunting rifle.

In target/steel shooting I don't need anything that lets me shoot faster. I have an addiction to shooting rapidly with single feed or top loader, drop floor internal magazines at least I have to stop for a little bit. That lets the barrel cool.

I can see the desire for a DBM for PRS/Tactical type shooting. I haven't done that type of shooting yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.