Can someone tell me about labradar

I don't have one but there are a LOT of threads on here and long range only about them. It seems that they can be rather particular/picky to set up. Once set up properly they often function well. Many add after market items to get them to work as they want them to. I didn't buy one based on the troubles that seemed to be too common.
Last week or two Garmin introduced a new one. Early reports seem to be positive and I purchased one. Remember all of the above is second hand. YMMV. Try the search function. Lots should pop up for you.
Bruce

I have a LabRadar. I shoot regular rifles and pistols with mine. Usually I'm the only person on the range. I shoot with it every time I go shoot. It is a breeze to setup and get data. The data seems right, but I don't have a way to know for sure.

I don't have any triggers, LabRadar aiming devices, etc. mine is a basic unit. I added a battery pack and 90 deg USB cable. I have a small table top tripod.

I rarely have any issue at all.

When I have had an issue, it is always with another shooter close by with a big boomer. I can always adjust to eliminate issues.

Garmim xero is better, it's cheaper than a labradar, use it like a magnetospeed but it doesn't have to hang on the barrel, yes it's the size of a GoPro and I can personally say it is awesome because my friend has one and I've seen it in action. There are only 2 chronographs necessary in the market now, the Garmin and the old school Caldwell sunshade type.

Started with a Chrony, still have it. Went to a magneto v3, sold it for a labradar, then had enough frustration and sold it. Bought another v3 I still use and will eventually buy a xero. Sighting in and setting up the labradar on a firing line with other shooters sucks imo, needed a trigger for suppressed shooting, I almost always took 2-3 shots to get it sighted in and my 204 and 17 fireball were too fast for it. Never had my magneto miss a shot. The only upside I personally had with the radar is if I needed to chrono a pistol and even then I could use my Chrony.

To echo what others have above. There's a reason LR and MS are selling cheaper.

Garmin is seen by many as a better product. Having used the garmin I would recommend going that direction.

If you want to save the money then a "good deal" LR or MS isn't a bad buy, but I'd plan to eventually get a garmin.

I've owned a Labradar for quite some time. I'm on my second Magnetospeed (sold the first one) and have had several optical chronographs over the years too. The Labradar works okay but it needs to be aimed correctly to read properly (I lay a small metal tube on the V notch and look through it to center the Labradar on the target) and I have had issues with it trying to pick up other shooters' shots. That was resolved by adjusting the sensitivity. Same for trying to get it to read 44 magnum hard cast lead bullets. Just need to play with the sensitivity.

I shoot muzzle braked 338 Win Mags and the muzzle blast interfered with the readings. So, I built a wooden barrier I could place between the rifle and the Labaradar and that seems to have worked. The muzzle blast is now stopped from shaking the Labradar.

As others have said, the new kid on the chronograph block is the Garmin. Lots of guys are selling their Labradars. If you want a good deal on a Labradar, now is the time to buy a used one at a discount. I am going to buy a Garmin in the future, once they are back in stock. It looks like they have produced an excellent product but we'll see if it has the same problem with 338 Win Mag muzzle blast as the Labarader. If so, I'll just use my wooden barrier.

I've had a labradar for years. It works great and has been the gold standard. Easy to transport. Easy to set up. You should buy the external trigger ($35) which will eliminate issues with missed shots or other firearms setting it off. Take it home, download info, print it off.
As mentioned, there are several used units for sale on other forums for $375-$425. That's a pretty good deal.

Once I learned how to properly set the parameters on the LabRadar, I never had any issues with it. I bought an inertia trigger but never used it. The unit is easy to set up and reads velocity reliably. The biggest advantage to the new Garmin Xero (for me) is that it is 1/10th the size of a LabRadar. No big Apache case to lug out to the club every week.

Used LabRadars are selling for nearly 40%-50% off their original price with the usual accessories. That makes the LabRadar an excellent deal on a reliable piece of equipment.

I have been using the old style chrony with sunshades. I need something more reliable. What's your thoughts on labradar? Is there something better?
Thanks
I still have my Chrony F1, which I purchased about ~3 decades ago. As others noted, most LabRadar owners like myself went through some learning pains. Some upgraded with accessories to ease the pain. It was 1 of 2 choices that most went with based on preference. Today, the Garmin Xero is making a LabRadar upgrade to it. By that time, it is time for me to upgrade; newer and better equipment will be available. 🤣

Good luck!

For the vast majority of shooters the Garmin is better. It's smaller, easier to use, and triggers more reliably. It doesn't measure downrange velocity, which the Labradar does. If you're shooting a bullet you have no BC for (like cast bullets) you can get a reasonably close BC from 0 and 100yd velocity. You're not going to get more precise than box BC with commercial bullets, so if you're only shooting commercial bullets downrange velocity isn't useful.