Tell me about specialty/long range handguns

Dave King

After seeing some threads here about these things and the groups I'm thinking about having one built.

1. What are the common/adequate systems (receivers etc)?
2. What chambering?
3. Do they require different load data than a rifle in identical chamberings?
4. Who makes a good one?
5. What is the cost? (I don't think they'd be much different than a rifle overall, same parts just shorter.)
6. When can I get one?

Dave, Here are my thoughts to your questions. Others such as SScoyote and Xphunter are far more experienced in this area but they are both shooting a couple of my XPs that seem to be working alright so far.

1.Hands down the XP-100 is my favorite receiver. Have to get one used but they are the best out there I have used for a bolt action handgun for extreme range shooting and hunting.

2. Anything you can think of really. Just put a 7mm Dakota in Xphunters handgun. I have a 338 WSM. I have heard of the RUMs being chambered in them but thing this is to much capacity. The Dakota case is about as big as I would recommend.

3. They will take any load that is safe in a rifle of the same chambering. YOu may possibly get a bit more performance adjusting to a slightly quicker burning powder in the shorter handgun barrel but on average, the fastest load in a rifle will also be the fastest in the handgun as well.

4. Are you looking for custom or factory?

5. A custom will run around $1800 for a complete handgun. Prices will vary on some of the factory offerings out there.

6. Again depends on if you want custom or a factory handgun.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby

Thanks

I'd get custom but I need to check into the Maryland handgun thing. I may need to buy an XP here and have it built as there could be a problem bringing one (receiver) in that is newer than 2002 manufacture (lock required on NEW(er) manufacture).

What's the built time??

Buffalobob,

AFT says no go using a receiver already designated for a rifle to be used to build a handgun. Would be a fellony unfortunately to make an Xp-100 out of one of the new XR-100 rifles.

Kirby Allen(50)

I just happen to know where there is one that is NIB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!! I think it's chambered in a 35 Rem though.

you wouldn't know how much it is if Dave does not want it do you? you can send me an email to my addy you already have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

d-a

Yeah, good idea.

Bill, is it for sale and do I want it??

I don't know what these things sell for or availability. 35 Remington I could shoot deer and rocks and such and then have it built.

Dave,
Kirby did a good job answering your question and I concur with what he said.
I prefer the old style (orginal XP) dogleg bolt handle that has the single shot action. Remington did make a XP-100R which is just a model 7 action with a magazine. For most purposes I like the centergrip stock (H-S or McMillan). I have 3 H-S stocks and have used them the longest. For the big thumpers I believe my preference is McMillan. I should be getting a complete 7mm WSM from H-S at some point. H-S makes their own line of specialty pistols. Kirby reinforced my McMillan stock on my 7mm Dakota. Since the potential of LR is inherent within this post I like the cartridges based off of the 284 Win, WSM's, and of course the Dakota line.
Basically, you are going to lose 200-300 fps in a SP compared to the same chambering in a rifle.
Richard Near (Near Manufacturing) makes a pic base for both the XP-100 and the Savage Striker. I have four of Richard's bases and am very pleased.
My XP-100 chamberings are:
250 Savage AI, 6mm-284, two 6.5-284's (one rear-grip and one center-grip), and the 7mm Dakota. I have other SP's but they different action types.
I use Varget with 100 NBT's on my 250 AI, H-4831 w/115 DTAC's for my 6-284, H-4350 with 140's for my 6.5's, and Retumbo for my 7 Dakota with the 200 grain WC bullet.
SP's are a lot of fun, and add a challenge when hunting/shooting compared to a rifle. Learning to use a LER scopes and find your FOV or a rifle scope and not getting smacked is just one of the things you will come to enjoy. A well built SP has the same accuracy potential as a rifle. Fast shots in the field compared to a rifle are difficult. But you can get going quite quickly prone with a bipod.

The one we have is a XP-100R w/the magazine. I'd take $450 + the shipping (which will be substantial since it has to go next day).

Let me know.

B.J.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.