Target/ELR 375 HE..

What do you guys think the optimum barrel length and contour would be? Let's say this rifle is gonna be for hunting and potentially suppressed.
I don't know much about suppressors other than basics and that I can't have one. :(

I am comfortable with what I'm learning about the 375HE and my QuickDesign and QuickLoad models.

I plugged a CEB 350 MTH into my QL model as an appropriate candidate for a hunting bullet.

I assume you want %100 powder burn for suppressors.

so

Working backwards, I came up with as short as 26". That would give velocities in the 2800fps range at ~56k psi. Muzzle pressure will be in the ~16k psi range.

So...

I would go with the following dimentions for the barrel:
Diameter: 1.4
For 5.5 inches
A 30inch radius profile to 1.25 at 8.5 inches
Tapering to .9 at the muzzle

Basically a supersized sendero/varmint profile.

The barrel should come in at 6.5lb vs 4.25 for a "normal" 1.2 sendero/varmint profile.

An AAC Cyclops can at ~5lb

Stiller TAC 408 1.45" diameter repeater at about 3lb.

McMillan stock at ~3lb

Scope 1.5lb

Yikes, that makes a 19lb hunting rig.

Well, if Ed Hubel thinks it can be done in a Weatherby Mark V action, that could get reduced to about 13lb.

With the impending doom of total gun ban, manufacturers are backlogged years. :D

Seriously, all the makers seem to be backlogged.

I've got a 585HE chamber reamer cutting a forming die in the lathe. Should finish it tomorrow and start working on the bushing side. Then the bushings. If I got it all correct, the 585HE reamer will go out to be reground to 375HE.

Contemplating a 338HE.

I've got my first forming die reamed. The counter bore for the insert bushings is cut. On this one the retaining "bolt" for the bushings will be 3/4-16. So, I am going to have my first go at inside threading. So far all threading I've done has been outside.

I like the finish on this die much more than the last one. I tried a different cutting lube. Went slower. Very shiny inside.

I plugged a CEB 350 MTH into my QL model as an appropriate candidate for a hunting bullet.

I assume you want %100 powder burn for suppressors.

so

Working backwards, I came up with as short as 26". That would give velocities in the 2800fps range at ~56k psi. Muzzle pressure will be in the ~16k psi range.

Hello,
That MV is slower than a standard chambered 375CT with 350gr projectiles; heck its even slower than a standard chambered 408CT with 419gr projectiles...both with 29.5" barrel.

Why you keeping MV so slow and pressure so low?

THEIS

Hello,
That MV is slower than a standard chambered 375CT with 350gr projectiles; heck its even slower than a standard chambered 408CT with 419gr projectiles...both with 29.5" barrel.

Why you keeping MV so slow and pressure so low?

THEIS

I'm not "keeping the MV and pressure so low". You can go as high in pressure and as fast as you want. I'm not keeping you from anything.

There is no "real" reloading data yet as there is no rifle yet.

I'm not the maker/designer, I'm just an enthusiast like you. I just have a tool fetish and QL and QD are tools so I got them.

A real 350gr load in a long, 2 mile, target barrel will be 25% faster

But would be much harder to suppress it. A formed case holds

196Gr water.Ed

About ELR bullets to get the best BC for improved long range use,

bullets that are as long as 400 gr CEBs and other long ones......

maybe need a slight wasp waist where that bullet has the seal ring.

And I haven't seen the Berger one or any others experimental ones,

so I don't what they have done. Just remembering some research, if I

remember right, I saw years ago about aerodynamics..Ed

Hello,

In regards to suppressors...

You can save yourself 4 pounds off that Cyclops and go with Arcangel375 from Crux or save yourself 2.5 pounds off that Cyclops and go with Windtalker AMF from Elite Iron.

The 375HE would be no harder to suppress than any of the other "big boomers"..50BMG, 408CT, 375CT, 416Barrett, 460 Steyr, 14.5 Russian, etc.

THEIS

Elves making Santa, I have a real beard, a present,

first batch, I got run them on last die insert,to set neck for

holding bullet real tight. I had bunch big 700HE seat dies, sleeve in them, and a whole

bunch of screw in top plugs with the right angles inside, with recess hole,

just drilled them various steps for sizing case necks. Will be doing batches

next few weeks as we go along..Ed

Attachments

• 2aaaaa375pic.jpg
    2aaaaa375pic.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 163
Elves making Santa, I have a real beard, a present,

first batch, I got run them on last die insert,to set neck for

holding bullet real tight. I had bunch big 700HE seat dies, sleeve in them, and a whole

bunch of screw in top plugs with the right angles inside, with recess hole,

just drilled them various steps for sizing case necks. Will be doing batches

next few weeks as we go along..Ed

Nice! Any idea on a price per piece and when they'll be available to buy? I'd like to get a few in my hands to test a few ideas.

Ready now, 5 bucks each , plus shipping in small amounts,

If 50 or more can ship free, Can ship after holiday,

we take pmt by mail or paypal, you can PM me, or

email-- [email protected] ...Ed

Be nice to win lottery, then Bruce do all the finished 375HE cases, do all the work on cases. As over a
number of years we will need lots of cases with the interest in the 2 mile shoots.

He needs 10,000 ordered, paid up front. Plus(and suspenders guys listen), plus money for the retooling the carousel for the necking case dies, to do a finished case, plus the money for his case necking carousel, case holders to hold Nyati size bases, ,( thousands of dollars total),which is also what the belt size on our case is.

Have to have same holders for our 585 belted case as for the Nyati case. That is why the Nyatis came as straight basic from AUS , IE, wasn't run through a carousel, and guys buying them, just run them in their dies, didn't have much shoulder to make, and trimmed. Our 585 HE case didn't have to be run through carousel with neck dies. But the 375 HE, or a 375 anything got to use that............ Ed..

Last edited:
Here is a neater and simpler drawing of our 375 HE case.Ed

Attachments

• 2aaaaa375he.jpg
    2aaaaa375he.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 145