Talk to me about small rifle primer based 6mm cartridges...

6 creed is the easy button. Runs 105s-110s in the 3150 aread pretty easily. Harder if you wanted. Really easy round to work with I currently own 2 of them

If you're going to hunt with it, I'd stay LRP. I had all kinds of issues hunting with a 6.5x47 in sub-20 degree weather. I tried a couple different SRPs, and a couple powders…. but if it was cold, I'd have hang-fires and random fliers frequently.

Anyone else have issues in cold weather with SRPs and powder charges in the 40-45 grain range?
I'm in Manitoba and have used my 6.5x47 in -30C or -22F without any problems. 124 HH, 41.5 gr H4350 with cci 450. Never had a hang fire. Maybe I've been lucky. I will say it's always in the back of mind. So far so good.

I also tried Win and Wolf SRPMs, and a couple different powders and bullets too.

This was the most accurate rifle I ever owned, an absolute hammer…. until it was below freezing. I tried everything I could think of: changed stocks, mounts, rings, optic, powder, primer, bullet…. everything.

In the end, it got tripped to Texas… because if I can't hunt coyotes with it, then I don't need/want it.

6 Creed really is the easy button these days, though I shoot LRPs in that too.

That's the exact load (123 Scenar, 41.5 H4350, CCI 450) that I had the first issues with in the cold.
Very interesting. I wouldn't be able to use my load either if it was causing hang fires. Our rifle season is mid November and is always well below freezing. Been using this gun for 7 years. Now you have me worried!

I also tried Win and Wolf SRPMs, and a couple different powders and bullets too.

This was the most accurate rifle I ever owned, an absolute hammer…. until it was below freezing. I tried everything I could think of: changed stocks, mounts, rings, optic, powder, primer, bullet…. everything.

In the end, it got tripped to Texas… because if I can't hunt coyotes with it, then I don't need/want it.

6 Creed really is the easy button these days, though I shoot LRPs in that too.
The 6cm holds a few grs more. But has a slightly longer coal. The 6XC is right there in between the 6 cm and 6x47 as far as case capacity. Mine is a prs rifle and the 6XC is perfect for that 2900-2950 ish fps range with 110-115 gr bullets, comfortablely just under the speed limit. That's why I went there. The 6 cm is is a good round for hunting and LR target shooting. But in the spectrum of 6's, 243ai to the 6ppc, the 6XC is a well rounded efficient cartridge imo.
I try to find a cartridge that will just get it done, whether thats energy to a certain distance or whatever, at close to max case capacity, without extra recoil. So for prs/<1200 yards the 6XC fit the bill. For straight hunting or banging steel at a mile, I would have gone to a 7T 243/243ai or a 6cm. But since the OP wanted to just bang steel to 1000 and hunt to 300, he doesn't need that extra case capacity/extra recoil, imo. Hell he could do a 6 arc or bigger and check those boxes. But the 6XC is just right.
Throwing around the ez button term, Mr. Tubbs has it wired. 39.5 grs of H4350, his bushing sizing die, by Superior Shooting Systems (I think) is excellent, run out is less then 1 thou, and I get 5 thou neck tension, with Peterson srp brass which is recommended. I don't shoot the 115 dtac, or coat my bullets, but I still get sub half moa, closer to a quarter.
Edit: I tagged the wrong guy, sorry dude.

Very interesting. I wouldn't be able to use my load either if it was causing hang fires. Our rifle season is mid November and is always well below freezing. Been using this gun for 7 years. Now you have me worried!
I've never seen it happen with another one… but I've heard of it happening several other times.

It's pretty disconcerting when the shot sequence goes something like:

Click…. W.T.F.?…. BOOM!

Norma Brass, Forster Dies, LRP brass ONLY, since I shoot, a LOT of, W-W StaBall 65 powder ( IN Cold Weather ) with, 103 ELD-X's for Game/ Predators and, 40.5 grs with, the 107 gr. SMK's, for Target & Steel work, in my 6XC, Tubb, Version ONE, chamber W/ 1-7.5 Twist, .104 FB in a 24" medium heavy Sporter Criterion Barrel ("RemAge" style ), on a Rem 700 SS action, Jewell trig., bedded act. / Free Floated bbl., H-S precision stock.
It was, the "Easy Button" for Me ! 5 shot Group's, are in the 2's and 3's with, the 107 SMK's and, sub. 1/2 MOA with, the ELD-X's out of My 10 Pound, Rifle. Not bad for, a Total cost Rifle, UNDER,.. $2,500. Scoped

Last edited:
Norma Brass, Forster Dies, LRP brass ONLY, since I shoot, a LOT of, W-W StaBall 65 powder ( IN Cold Weather ) with, 103 ELD-X's for Game/ Predators and, 40.5 grs with, the 107 gr. SMK's, for Target & Steel work, in my 6XC, Tubb, Version ONE, chamber W/ 1-7.5 Twist, .104 FB in a 24" medium heavy Sporter Criterion Barrel ("RemAge" style ), on a Rem 700 SS action, Jewell trig., bedded act. / Free Floated bbl., H-S precision stock.
It was, the "Easy Button" for Me ! 5 shot Group's, are in the 2's and 3's with, the 107 SMK's and, sub. 1/2 MOA with, the ELD-X's out of My 10 Pound, Rifle. Not bad for, a Total cost Rifle, UNDER,.. $2,500. Scoped
I was able to shoot sub 1/2 MOA shots with my $600, 10lb with scope, Savage 110 Tactical in 6mmARC using factory Hornady 108gr ELDMs. Smallest group was 1/4 MOA with 108s and largest was 0.9 MOA using 103 ELDX. Shot 108s out to 1000 yds on steel without a miss.

I don't own any 6s but I have some Lapua brass in 6.5 creed, 6.5x284 Norma and 284 that use small primers. They are consistent and in my experience produce smaller SD and ES numbers. Velocity is not to much different than those with standard LRPs. I still have a brick of SRPs, which reminds me I need to load some more 6.5x284 Norma.🙂