Talk to me about small rifle primer based 6mm cartridges...

StumpyJohnson

Sooooo, I like to shoot, a lot. But dang nabbit if I'm not tired of primer and powder prices and availability. Holy heck am I tired of paying out the nose to shoot my favorite cartridges.

However, I've returned from a rabbit hole today...6mm cartridges that use SRP's.

Never got into them but I think I'm about too... Every component is available and moderately priced. And a kazzillion competition shooters can't all be wrong.

So, which one? Leaning towards 6x47L. Considering 6 creedmoor, or 6 ppc. But really looking for an efficient 6mm cartridge that relies on a small rifle primer and develops decent velocity. I'd say most 6mm cartridges aren't lacking for accuracy. So what other factors should I consider?

Barrel life, chamber considerations (freebore), powder efficiency, hunting viability (norcal blacktail, mule deer, pigs), component availability, are all considerations. But primarily I want to sit on the bulk of my stockpiled components and explore a new cartridge in 6mm.

Your experience and suggestions appreciated, I lick windows and eat crayons in my spare time.

What about chambers? I might like to hunt with with the build, if so I have to use copper, I often find the longer copper bullets required extra freebore. Which of these cartridges are best for longer projectiles in their saami versions? Which are best with a bit of added freebore.

Ps. I know 'best' is subjective, just feeling out the crowd. I wish I'd done more of this on previous builds, so here I am. Asking the pros.

What about chambers? I might like to hunt with with the build, if so I have to use copper, I often find the longer copper bullets required extra freebore. Which of these cartridges are best for longer projectiles in their saami versions? Which are best with a bit of added freebore.

Ps. I know 'best' is subjective, just feeling out the crowd. I wish I'd done more of this on previous builds, so here I am. Asking the pros.
You have been given all of the good responses for cartridges. If you want simple, I would remove all of the wildcat cartridges (fireforming and necking up and down), and that would leave you with: 6 BR, 6 GT, and the 6XC and the 6CM can be small or large primer. i

The 6 BR will have the longest throat life. How important is barrel life?
What would be your typical distance for hunting?

Last edited:
I'm
Sooooo, I like to shoot, a lot. But dang nabbit if I'm not tired of primer and powder prices and availability. Holy heck am I tired of paying out the nose to shoot my favorite cartridges.

However, I've returned from a rabbit hole today...6mm cartridges that use SRP's.

Never got into them but I think I'm about too... Every component is available and moderately priced. And a kazzillion competition shooters can't all be wrong.

So, which one? Leaning towards 6x47L. Considering 6 creedmoor, or 6 ppc. But really looking for an efficient 6mm cartridge that relies on a small rifle primer and develops decent velocity. I'd say most 6mm cartridges aren't lacking for accuracy. So what other factors should I consider?

Barrel life, chamber considerations (freebore), powder efficiency, hunting viability (norcal blacktail, mule deer, pigs), component availability, are all considerations. But primarily I want to sit on the bulk of my stockpiled components and explore a new cartridge in 6mm.

Your experience and suggestions appreciated, I lick windows and eat crayons in my spare time.

I'm waiting for a Lilja 6mm barrel any day now. Going to chamber it in a 6br no turn. It's going to be fit to a Falkor MT7 short action and going into an AG composites stock. I've never shot a rifle in that chambering but it sure shoots great out the xp 100 I have. Plan on having a light weight deer and predator rifle.

You can also get small primer brass in 25 Creedmoor, 65 Creedmoor, 260, and 308 if SRPs are main focus.

I compete in PRS and have used 6XC, 6BR, 6BRA, and 6 Dasher. If hunting main focus I would look at 6 Creedmoor. If hunting and volume shooting I would look at 6XC. If volume shooting it is toss up for me for 6BR, 6BRA, 6 Dasher - if pick only one of these three then 6BRA.

Barrel life = 6BR/6BRA followed by 6Dasher.

Challenge with 6BR/6BRA is smaller case volume seems to equal fewer powder choices (for me - Varget and N140).

And you can add 6GT to the mix now too - longer case than BR so it works in "regular" mags

I just bought a 6PPC from Bob White with a new Brux Barrel on it (Target rig) he says the barrel is good form 3,000 round or more, But the Factory Norma Brass is Hard to get even 220Rusian and 22PPC to fire form is scarce. Only using 25-30 grains of powder with 60-70 grain pills.