Talk to me about small rifle primer based 6mm cartridges...

So converting my Tikka back to a short action with appropriate mag is likely to be problematic too you think?
I would suspect yes for the smaller stuff (6BR derivatives) that require magazine kits. The only kits I am aware of are made for AICS magazines, I don't know if there are any for Tikka mags. For the longer stuff (6CM and 6XC) I think you would be ok. I am not sure how the 6GT would work but it's a bit on the short side so might act up.

Extra note; the 6x47 Lapua you have been considering would probably work but as of now Lapua is not making brass so that could be an issue. Lapua announced a halt on production while they are feeding military contracts due to the current war in Ukraine.

6 creed is the easy button. Load down for target shooting if so inclined and step on it for hunting. Lots of factory ammo available too. I just bought a bunch of srp Alpha brass but I've yet to load it. Good quality stuff. After banging away with Magnums for years the 6cm is a joy to shoot.

6 creed is the easy button. Load down for target shooting if so inclined and step on it for hunting. Lots of factory ammo available too. I just bought a bunch of srp Alpha brass but I've yet to load it. Good quality stuff. After banging away with Magnums for years the 6cm is a joy to shoot.
I'm on a teeter-totter now...

I went thru the same thing almost to a "T".
What part of NorCal are you in? I have family in Sonoma/Mendo counties. Mulies makes me think farther north and east.

I would suspect yes for the smaller stuff (6BR derivatives) that require magazine kits. The only kits I am aware of are made for AICS magazines, I don't know if there are any for Tikka mags. For the longer stuff (6CM and 6XC) I think you would be ok. I am not sure how the 6GT would work but it's a bit on the short side so might act up.

Extra note; the 6x47 Lapua you have been considering would probably work but as of now Lapua is not making brass so that could be an issue. Lapua announced a halt on production while they are feeding military contracts due to the current war in Ukraine.
MDT makes kits as well for their magazines that work well. My GT has been solid in all AI mags I've tried; MDT, Magpul and the Ruger for their scout. I think it may be made by Magpul though.
If I was building today...6 Creed with a benchmark barrel 7 twist. You can always form brass from 6.5 or others for it in a shortage too.

Nice country. I have a cousin in Susanville. I used to go there to hunt chukars with him. I wish you the best on your decision.

Peterson is making brass for the 6 x47 Lapua.

Sooooo, I like to shoot, a lot. But dang nabbit if I'm not tired of primer and powder prices and availability. Holy heck am I tired of paying out the nose to shoot my favorite cartridges.

However, I've returned from a rabbit hole today...6mm cartridges that use SRP's.

Never got into them but I think I'm about too... Every component is available and moderately priced. And a kazzillion competition shooters can't all be wrong.

So, which one? Leaning towards 6x47L. Considering 6 creedmoor, or 6 ppc. But really looking for an efficient 6mm cartridge that relies on a small rifle primer and develops decent velocity. I'd say most 6mm cartridges aren't lacking for accuracy. So what other factors should I consider?

Barrel life, chamber considerations (freebore), powder efficiency, hunting viability (norcal blacktail, mule deer, pigs), component availability, are all considerations. But primarily I want to sit on the bulk of my stockpiled components and explore a new cartridge in 6mm.

Your experience and suggestions appreciated, I lick windows and eat crayons in my spare time.
I have also been stuck on this train of thought lately. I have been looking heavily at both the 6GT and 6x47L. From what I have read the 6GT may be a little easier to find a load than the 6x47L. Most of the 6mm will shoot a 100-105 close to 3000 which is more than adequate for what I hunt (blacktail in AK) so my focus is primarily steel. At a point where I should probably just pick one and work with it haha

I went through this decision last year. Ended up with a 6mmARC Savage 110 Tactical that shoots Hornady factory ammo in .25-.50 inch groups at 100yds. It's a SAAMI spec cartridge so no fireforming, etc. and no wildcat problems. At only $25 a box, I bought 100 rounds of 103, 105 and 108gr ammo to try and to breakin the rifle which gave me brass to reload. The factory ammo is downloaded for AR15 semiautomatic use, but Hornady produces hotter reload data for this bolt rifle. The Savage 110 Tactical uses the longer AICS bottom metal/magazines and a lighter Tactical Accutrigger than their standard Accutrigger. Savage has an even lighter Target Accutrigger in their target models. I'm really impressed with this inexpensive but accurate 6mmARC which is a 1200 yd rifle and good for hunting deer, varmints, etc. For clarification, I wouldn't use it for deer past about 500 yds, but it's good for steel and varmints to 1200 yds.

Last edited:
Sooooo, I like to shoot, a lot. But dang nabbit if I'm not tired of primer and powder prices and availability. Holy heck am I tired of paying out the nose to shoot my favorite cartridges.

However, I've returned from a rabbit hole today...6mm cartridges that use SRP's.

Never got into them but I think I'm about too... Every component is available and moderately priced. And a kazzillion competition shooters can't all be wrong.

So, which one? Leaning towards 6x47L. Considering 6 creedmoor, or 6 ppc. But really looking for an efficient 6mm cartridge that relies on a small rifle primer and develops decent velocity. I'd say most 6mm cartridges aren't lacking for accuracy. So what other factors should I consider?

Barrel life, chamber considerations (freebore), powder efficiency, hunting viability (norcal blacktail, mule deer, pigs), component availability, are all considerations. But primarily I want to sit on the bulk of my stockpiled components and explore a new cartridge in 6mm.

Your experience and suggestions appreciated, I lick windows and eat crayons in my spare time.
6XC is what I went with, David Tubbs is pretty smart. Plus he and his wife run the XC Facebook page if you have any questions. Run 39.5 grs of H4350 like he says, play with the jump, and then daily in your barrel tuner.
Peterson makes srp 6XC brass. My load is 39.5 grs H4350, a 112 MB at 37 thou jump, Peterson brass and a cci 200 with 5 thou neck tension, ~2912 fps, 12 ES, and sub half moa consistently. Also, the bushing sizing die he sells for his calibers is top notch.
Edit: I tried Accurate Mags, they dont work. You must use AI mags with a 6XC, well I did in a MPA chassis. If not the round nose dives. Never tried in a bolt gun with a internal mag. I hope they feed, am gonna a build a hunting rig in 6XC at some point.

Attachments

• 20230426_152506.jpg
    20230426_152506.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
6XC is what I went with, David Tubbs is pretty smart. Plus he and his wife run the XC Facebook page if you have any questions. Run 39.5 grs of H4350 like he says, play with the jump, and then daily in your barrel tuner.
Peterson makes srp 6XC brass. My load is 39.5 grs H4350, a 112 MB at 37 thou jump, Peterson brass and a cci 200 with 5 thou neck tension, ~2912 fps, 12 ES, and sub half moa consistently. Also, the bushing sizing die he sells for his calibers is top notch.
Edit: I tried Accurate Mags, they dont work. You must use AI mags with a 6XC, well I did in a MPA chassis. If not the round nose dives. Never tried in a bolt gun with a internal mag. I hope they feed, am gonna a build a hunting rig in 6XC at some point.
So you're using it in a semi auto? I've never experienced feed issues with any cartridge, but my experience is limited. Are the rounds just oddly shaped such that the geometry get wonky? Steep shoulder angles and such?

6 creed is easy to do on a Tikka T3X action with standard bolt face. Just need the short action bolt stop and the correct Tikka mags. If you need a little longer COAL then Tikka also makes the 6.5 creed M+ mags which will get you over 2.85" COAL.

Recent Posts