Talk to me about small rifle primer based 6mm cartridges...

Barrel life, chamber considerations (freebore), powder efficiency, hunting viability (norcal blacktail, mule deer, pigs), component availability, are all considerations. But primarily I want to sit on the bulk of my stockpiled components and explore a new cartridge in 6mm.

Your experience and suggestions appreciated, I lick windows and eat crayons in my spare time.

:eek:😁

If Northern California is truly your choice of hunting grounds then you have another component to consider, solid bullets, no lead. If not, ignore all of the following.

This type of component alone can significantly change your choice of cartridge and limit your effective shooting distance. Solids do not have the higher BCs available when using cup and core VLD bullets. They are, as everyone knows, longer than the same weight bullets in cup and core. Some also have assigned seating depths based on the bullet design. So...

You can shoot some of the 6mm cartridges which are shorter by design such as the 6mmBR, Dasher and iterations or move up some and shoot the 6XC and the 6x47L. These cartridges allow for seating at the bullets assigned seating depth or magazine length if necessary, usually shorter.

I have used the:

Nosler E-Tip
Cutting Edge
Hammer Hunter

with fine results though shorter hunting range limitations from lesser BCs.

Without having the consideration of solids, you have a double handful of cartridges which will perform up to your expectations.

Enjoy the search!

:)

Yep, that's what I'm leaning towards. 6x47l seems like the winner currently. Barrel life is not a huge concern but a consideration.

I feel like the 6x47 will do both jobs effectively with a few compromises along the way.

California is not my CHOICE hunting ground, but it's were I live so, for monolithics 6x47 seems the choice.

So now, do I do it in a long action terminus or a Tikka with the option to got short action? I think either is fine really but the Tikka offers options should I have feeding issues. But I love my Zeus for... Well... Everything.

So now, do I do it in a long action terminus or a Tikka with the option to got short action? I think either is fine really but the Tikka offers options should I have feeding issues. But I love my Zeus for... Well... Everything.

Reality is with the shorter cartridge cases, there is no need to even consider the medium (XM) actions let alone the long actions. The cartridges and bullets I suggested will fit in a short action and the standard 2.800" magazine even when using those long for caliber solids. No muss, no fuss, no mess!

:)

Yep, that's what I'm leaning towards. 6x47l seems like the winner currently. Barrel life is not a huge concern but a consideration.

I feel like the 6x47 will do both jobs effectively with a few compromises along the way.

California is not my CHOICE hunting ground, but it's were I live so, for monolithics 6x47 seems the choice.

All the cartridges mentioned, even with a heavy mono, are true short action rounds. Why build on a LA?

Edit: Sable beat me to it.

6 BR or 6 BRA

Attachments

• 6BR Imp.jpg
    6BR Imp.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 39
One consideration is your platform too. Mags for some of the 6mms based on the BR are a bit pricey and can be scarce. If it were me I'd look at those that feed from a standard AI style magazine. I have a GT and love it. Brass has been readily available. Most of the 6s run in the same velocity corridor 2700-3100fps with 105/108. The 6 Arc has been interesting but so far finding brass has been a bust.

A lot of these cartridges are short enough that they require magazine kits on a short action (e.g., 6 BR and derivatives). Your just asking for trouble trying to play around with them on a long action. If your really set on going with a long action I'd be looking at a 6CM and even then you might run into magazine feeding issues.

As a side note; I own and enjoy a 6BR (using magazine kits) in my Terminus Zeus short action. When it goes I'm considering replacing it with a 6GT as I'm not a big fan of the magazine kits and would like to be able to use the 6GT in a AW style magazine.

A lot of these cartridges are short enough that they require magazine kits on a short action (e.g., 6 BR and derivatives). Your just asking for trouble trying to play around with them on a long action. If your really set on going with a long action I'd be looking at a 6CM and even then you might run into magazine feeding issues.

As a side note; I own and enjoy a 6BR (using magazine kits) in my Terminus Zeus short action. When it goes I'm considering replacing it with a 6GT as I'm not a big fan of the magazine kits and would like to be able to use the 6GT in a AW style magazine.
So converting my Tikka back to a short action with appropriate mag is likely to be problematic too you think?

2.7895 vs 2.995 doesn't seem too big a gap. 6x47 vs 6.5 prc comparison col's seem close enough for a long action to be ok, if not perfectly ideal.

Last edited:
Only cartridge I have experience with out of the ones mentioned is the 6 Dasher. Mine is a 22" Benchmark with a 7 twist. Built it to use for whitetail/pronghorn out to 400 ish.

I found the 103 eldx quite explosive at 300 yds on an antelope. Currently shooting 105 vldh which have been quite good. Thinking of trying a 70 HH.

If you're ok with the Dasher velocity I'd consider it. If not maybe a 6 creed would be best.

Recent Posts